Power Steering Dump Cap Replacement

Notices

Power Steering Dump Cap Replacement

Old 08-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Dump Cap Replacement

Really simple question ....

I have a Marine Machinery dump cap on my stock 98' Mercruiser (454 chevy) power steering pump reservoir.

It is a nice MM dual ram system, all is well except the dump cap leaks at the sealing interface. The cap's sealing mechanism is similar to a stock cap where it rotates into position and locks at about 1/4 turn. It appears inside the cap there is a spring loaded seal that is biased against the reservoir fill-lip to seal. Simply put, it leaks and I want a better mouse trap.

I've seen some IMCO and Hardin caps on the web that are interesting. Their porting to the reservoir exits out the side of the cap and there is s screw going down through the center of the cap.

Q: Is this screw used to pull up some sort of sealing plug?

Would this type of cap work w/ the stock pump / reservoir?

I don't believe there is any type of female thread inside my
reservoir for the screw on the cap to engage with so my assumption is these types of caps seal by using the screw to pull a "plug" upward and against the fill neck of the reservoir.

Any response is appreciated, I'm looking for something better than the push down and rotate detent-type cap I have.

Thanks all