Notices

starter question

Old 08-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter question

anyone ever have a brand new starter go bad...

replaced it less than two weeks ago, and it went while at the dock after a couple hour ride

motor is a 6.2 mpi... 1st starter went at 210 hours, this new just went at 221 hours..

on cold starts the boat is a little hard to get going but when warm its perfect.

wondering if this is bad luck or if there is something else going on?

thanks in advance
Old 08-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Registered

pull it and get it load tested, could be just a bad starter. Sucks but at least you will know. Is battery fully charged? Alternator good?
Old 08-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

When taking it out double check all your connections.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

so you just replaced the starter because? did it just wuit working or di it brake the nose off..reason asking is if you had water in the cylinders from sitting it would be hard to start the boat..or it just could be a bad battery,,when they sit for a period of time they drain then selves..
Old 08-07-2011, 07:59 AM
Registered

new battery at the beginning of the season

new alternator a week into the season, it started smoking when starting and didnt feel like waiting, voltage when running was lower: 11v. now at 14v on the gauge.

just bought the boat with 190 hours.

when you turn the key you get the high pitch whine. (the mechanism that mechanincally engages the starter?) both starters failed the same way... although the first starter was in bit more rougher shape visibly, i think original.

Another issue im encountering is a lack of power (rpm @WOT 4100), boat started sputtering last weekend. thought it might be bad fuel, added ethanol stablizer and boat did the same... changed plugs, most looked good, back two on portside im going to show to few more knowledgeable local folks, (orange spots on one, and tiny porcelin chip missing but no physical sign of damage or running hot)... after plug change boat then ran good , not great 4900 rpm when i initially went out yesterday. On the ride home same symptoms again (4100rpm) when i got to the dock i turned the boat off, went to put it on the trailer and the starter went.

only other thing i can think of, on cold starts i sometime need to give it more gas in neutral, and its MPI I know it shouldnt need that.

boat demo'd in the spring WOT: 5200rpm granted it was cooler dryer air.

boat has been nothing but saltwater, with no closed loop. for the hours, i thought I'd have a bit more time, before encountering any motor issues.. iv'e put about 30 hours on it.

2001 sea ray bowrider 6.2mpi b1

thats about the whole story,lol, thanks guys.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by ctriverguy
new battery at the beginning of the season

new alternator a week into the season, it started smoking when starting and didnt feel like waiting, voltage when running was lower: 11v. now at 14v on the gauge.

just bought the boat with 190 hours.

when you turn the key you get the high pitch whine. (the mechanism that mechanincally engages the starter?) both starters failed the same way... although the first starter was in bit more rougher shape visibly, i think original.

Another issue im encountering is a lack of power (rpm @WOT 4100), boat started sputtering last weekend. thought it might be bad fuel, added ethanol stabilizer and boat did the same... changed plugs, most looked good, back two on portside im going to show to few more knowledgeable local folks, (orange spots on one, and tiny porcelin chip missing but no physical sign of damage or running hot)... after plug change boat then ran good , not great 4900 rpm when i initially went out yesterday. On the ride home same symptoms again (4100rpm) when i got to the dock i turned the boat off, went to put it on the trailer and the starter went.

only other thing i can think of, on cold starts i sometime need to give it more gas in neutral, and its MPI I know it shouldnt need that.

boat demo'd in the spring WOT: 5200rpm granted it was cooler dryer air.

boat has been nothing but saltwater, with no closed loop. for the hours, i thought I'd have a bit more time, before encountering any motor issues.. iv'e put about 30 hours on it.

2001 sea ray bowrider 6.2mpi b1

thats about the whole story,lol, thanks guys.
make sure your cables are still in good shape,,green is no food,,if you see green on the edge of the connector going under the shielding then i would replace the cables..also make sure you crank down on the wing nut on the battery,,finger tight wont do it and use plyers on them..sorry to say but the orange on the plugs sounds like you may be getting water in from the manifolds and or risers..I would pull the manifolds and inspect to to be safe,,salt water kills them..with all the symptoms mentioned that would be the first place i would look..

the whine sounds like stater is binding,,water in the cylinders will compress and the starter will smoke because its trying to compress the water???? When it first starts it will sound like a older engine with its choke stuck on then the smoke will clear and start to run smooth,thats if it will start..

Last edited by FIXX; 08-07-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Registered

ok

good news; dealer replaced starter for free: they tested the one in question and found something wrong (didnt say)..

I did a compression test on two cylinders in question 5: 165psi and 7: 155 (after warming engine up on hose to 150 F temp)

Bad news: checked oil: #5 spark plug had water in it when i took it out...went to oil and oil fill is completely milky white on the pipe and bunch of water came out of remote drain (out the bilge) oil is currently draining.

So ordered new head gaskets and manifoldgaskets from my new favorite dealer (now on a first name basis) : will pick up tomorrow and tonight I disassemble ( my best skill i might add,lol) if the rain holds out.

any thoughts on the Stainless marine headers that are direct replacement for corsa exhaust my stockers have decent amount of external rust and is it still true cmi are bad ( i saw a few threads that were a few years old) ?

I got the book on the motor but I'm a definite newb to this so all advice is appreciated...