575SCI water in cylinders

Notices

575SCI water in cylinders

Old 08-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 575SCI water in cylinders

Here is the scoop.

Bought a 22' Eliminator Daytona with 575sci. Water was just freshened with new pistons, bearings, gaskets top to bottom. Everything checked for tolerances.

It has about 20 hours since rebuild. I drove it all weekend last weekend and ran great.

Just yesterday I launched at a different lake for a special event. The water there is a lot more mucky looking, kinda weedy and ****ty really.

I start the boat and let it idle while I parked the trailer. I idle out of the boat launch area and check over the gauges to see the temp at 220. I get on planed thinking some weeds are stuck and they will fall off. Gauge gets to near 240 very quickly so I slow it right down and shut her off. I waited about 15 min or so and let the temp cool down. I flicked the key on and off every few minutes until it go to under 200 degrees. I started it back up, go into reverse to maybe flush the weeds off and took off and see the gauge starting to rise again to the 230-240 range. friggin a!!! Shut it down and just waited. This time I waited over an hour....flicking the key every 5 min or so to check the temp.

I go to start it after that hour and it rolls over, then a load metalish clunk....rolls over.....clunk..... then the starter just zzzzziiiiiinnnnnggggggggssssss.

Pulled the spark plugs out today and water came out of one cylinder on each side. I rolled it over with a socket on the harmonic balancer and it seemed like at least some water came out of every cylinder. I pulled the starter off it visually looks okay. It looks somewhat like it twisted in its housing somewhat though. Flywheel looks perfect. I did not test starter after I pulled it off.....

It doesn't seem like blown head gaskets as it was running smoothly, other than it was starting to heat up. 240 is hot, but is it really that hot? It ran friggin perfect all last weekend, switch to a different lake and I didnt make it 5 minutes!!

Do I put a new starter in it? where is the water coming from? how do I tell?

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 08-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Registered

I should also mention, when I pull the dipstick the oil looks normal.

I did spray a ton of wd-40 down the cylinders and rolled it over a lot.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like it over heated and cracked the headers. Pull them off and pressure test them. Let me know if you need instructions on how to test them.
Eddie
Old 08-10-2011, 05:32 AM
Registered

I checked the headers and the starboard side definately leaked. The port side seemed to not leak at all. That was with 35ish psi water pressure.

There was water in both banks of cylinders. Is that possible without having only one cracked header?

I will do a compression test this weekend once I get a new starter.

Thanks for getting me this far!

Ryan
Old 08-10-2011, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Also the 575 aluminum intake manifold is prone to rotting out.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:16 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

The headers are a great place to start looking. I would also suggest looking closely at the intake manifold and gaskets. I recently rebuilt a pair of 575's and both intakes were rotted out at the front water passage. However, in my opinion, that would most likely let water get into the oil. Although, its a bit of work, I would pressure check the engine. At least if it holds, you know its not the engine and have to look somewhere else.

Sorry for the repeat post... Biggus posted as I was typing this out.