28 Scarab Excel Seat Question >

28 Scarab Excel Seat Question

Notices

28 Scarab Excel Seat Question

Old 08-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 28 Scarab Excel Seat Question

Looking for some help and guidance with some seat options on my 28 Excel. Right now I have the standard swivel seats, well the way that they are attached leaves something to be desired to say the least and I guess after 20 years it's about time that they have movement in them. I did a temp fix by installing a plate underneath them and under the floor but it's just a matter of time till they become loose again.

Anyway looking for some options on seats. I really like HotBoats seats but I don't like how the headrest sticks so far out of the boat. Bolster seats I think would also be a problem as there is not alot of deadrise in the Scarab excel hull so mounting them to where the drop outs wouldn't hit the floor would be a bit of a challenge.

Anybody out there with a 28 Scarab Excel that has changed their seats? Please post pics and sourcing locations.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 09-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Registered

Maybe some seats from a 26 Scarab or a 29 Scarab would work.

If anyone has any for sale please pm me or send me an email to [email protected].
Old 09-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

i never liked standing while driving this hull. the steering wheel is to low and you look funny standing in a boat with no freeboard. someone installed wellcraft drop out bolsters in my hull when i got it. I snapped one in half during a poker run and they had an ****ty system for mounting them to the floor. then i found a set of checkmate drop out bolsters. they were more stable but ……. to drop out the seat, the pedestal was high. So you sat to high and it was a pain to get behind the wheel and you looked stupid if you dropped out the seat and stood up.

I love my new seats. i like them better than the PPI race seats. I fit better in them and when your wearing a helmet during a long run the head rest is right there to take the pressure off from holding your head up. the PPI seats did not have the proper support and made my neck hurt.

I did have my cockpit cover modified with pouches to fit around the tops of my head rest because they were to tall. but to be honest they are just a few inches taller than the checkmate and wellcraft drop out bolsters were.

I looked at seats for almost a year before I decided on what I have.

take a Look at some of the OPA class 5 and 6 boats. and see what they have done. most of them are single engine boats with low freeboard like ours. also look at what they are doing with the 26-30 ft west coast boats. laveycraft , howard, magic, eliminator, and many others have hulls like ours……. especially the laveycraft hull. call them and see if they will make u a set of seats.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:06 AM
Registered