Loads up at idle

Notices

Loads up at idle

Old 08-18-2011, 07:00 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Loads up at idle

This has been bothering me all summer..Hopefully someone has a suggestion.. With my silent choice in the quiet mode, I can idle all day at 850 rpm with no loading up. If I open the exhaust pipes to loud mode the engines start to slowly load up where i have to rev them and clear them out.. and if i close them again they idle fine.. Seems like they like the back pressure from the quiet mode
509's dual plane intake Nickerson carbs 850 DP ( 78 pri--86 sec-- pv 6.5 ) cam specs 559 lift 236 duration @ 050 lba 114..msd base timing 16 and full advance 34 light springs
one turn out on each idle adjustment screw 4 corner and an extra 1/2 turn on anyone .. as per Nickerson Instructions. Emi thunder exhaust

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Last edited by 35fountain; 08-19-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you would think that you are lean at idle as the back pressure richens it up....try adjusting the carbs running hot with exhaust open, also throw timing light on and watch the timing...make sure its not falling off at idle and causing this...seen that many times
Old 08-18-2011, 08:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Put a vacuum gage on it and see how close you are to 6.5" at idle opened and closed. Maybe something changes when you open up the exhaust and power valves are opening, if you find you are at lets say 7" with closed and 6" open then you need power valves with lower# like a 4.5", Smitty
Old 08-18-2011, 11:51 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ezstriper
you would think that you are lean at idle as the back pressure richens it up....try adjusting the carbs running hot with exhaust open, also throw timing light on and watch the timing...make sure its not falling off at idle and causing this...seen that many times
How could the timing fall off? They are msd distributors with
the light springs and the black 18 degree advance stop bushing..I set the base at 16 and with the 18 bushing = 34 degrees. Total Timing comes in about 1200-1500 rpm
I'll check the timing today. I thought the opening of the exhaust was making it richer. I'll try and adjust the carbs also
Thanks
Old 08-18-2011, 11:53 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by articfriends
Put a vacuum gage on it and see how close you are to 6.5" at idle opened and closed. Maybe something changes when you open up the exhaust and power valves are opening, if you find you are at lets say 7" with closed and 6" open then you need power valves with lower# like a 4.5", Smitty
The last time i checked with a vacuum gauge it was 14 exhaust closed..I'll check again with them open
Old 08-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Did you try to clean out the idle air bleeds.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

check to see if the engines run hotter with the QQ closed opposed to open..holleys are cold harted and will load up when cold..also try adjusting the air fuel mixture screws on the carbs,,1/8'' turn in may cure it..
Old 08-18-2011, 04:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Update Vacuum with exhaust open or closed 16". With exhaust closed it idles perfectly and vacuum stays steady within 1/2 a mark. I opened the exhaust and within 3-5 minutes the vacuum started to drop and the needle started to vary 2" slowly back and fourth. If i rev'd it up cleared it out the vacuum went back up to 16" and in 3-5 minutes same thing again. I then closed the exhaust and it stayed at
16" give or take a 1/2 notch maybe because of the cam profile.
I also checked the timing.. dead on 16 idle. I then tried adjusting the 4 corner idle screws out a 1/4 turn each and the problem got even worse with exhaust in the open mode.
then i tried to close each idle screw 1/4 turn and it seemed to start to die too lean
I'm giving up
Old 08-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by 35fountain
Update Vacuum with exhaust open or closed 16". With exhaust closed it idles perfectly and vacuum stays steady within 1/2 a mark. I opened the exhaust and within 3-5 minutes the vacuum started to drop and the needle started to vary 2" slowly back and fourth. If i rev'd it up cleared it out the vacuum went back up to 16" and in 3-5 minutes same thing again. I then closed the exhaust and it stayed at
I also checked the timing.. dead on 16 idle. I then tried adjusting the 4 corner idle screws out a 1/4 turn each and the problem got even worse with exhaust in the open mode.
then i tried to close each idle screw 1/4 turn and it seemed to start to die too lean
I'm giving up

when adjusting the 4 corner air fuel screws adjust a tiny bit at a time..even if you just adjust the 2 front ones and not touching the rear ones may cure it..It only takes a little bit of adjustment then wait to see it it clears..most people will go 1/4 turn and then the motor dies then gives up...their real touchy..adjust then wait a few minutes for idle to clear then rev it to see if the engine stumbles then readjust..could take up to a 1/2 hour of messing with them to get it rite..
Old 08-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by 35fountain
I'm giving up
Well, you are nowhere near the power valve opening point so you can rule that out, do both motors do the same exact thing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.