trailer bunks >

trailer bunks

Notices

trailer bunks

Old 08-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer bunks

Anyone know of a good place to have my bunks replaces in socal?
also how bad is it if one of my bunks is bare wood in some places i am going to repair it but am wondering if its ok for short local trips to the lake no big trips planned this year?

thanks
Old 08-21-2011, 11:00 PM
Registered

no one?
Old 08-21-2011, 11:10 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Any marina should handle it fine. But it's not a hard job to do yourself. It's easier to replace the bunks with new wood and new carpet vs. remove the carpet and replace.

Damage will occur if you have exposed bolt heads and/ or when launching and retrieving the boat.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

They are not too hard to re cover or even replace, You can buy bunk carpet at a repair shop or I have used outdoor carpet from the hardware store. If you replace the bunk itself I have seen many trailers use carriage bolts so you will have to measure & drill. I use 3M adhesive & staples to mount the carpet & had no problems. If you have bare wood showing you can scratch or gouge the hull I would get it fixed
Old 08-21-2011, 11:21 PM
Registered

i own a stereo shop i can make the bunks resin them and then carpet them in the carpet i use to make my boxes. It will have to wait a few weeks and a few trips, hope the boat survives ill make them this week and put them on next week ill do the rears for now the fronts are ok when i launch the boat the trailer is in deep enough where it doesn't rub on the bunks until its out of the water. Ill call my mechanic and ask him what he would charge to pull the boat off with his crane and hold it for a few days so i can change the bunks myself all at the same time . What do you think he would charge? He could do the oil change and water pump at the same time.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:52 AM
Registered

bring your cordless drill, sawzall, and cordless impact to the boat ramp with you...along w your new carpet covered replacement wood bunks. Drop the boat in the water and tie it up...then go to town w your new bunks to get them installed on the trailer. Fairly easy...alot less expensive than re-gel the inside/bottom of your boat!!
Old 08-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kilrbusa
bring your cordless drill, sawzall, and cordless impact to the boat ramp with you...along w your new carpet covered replacement wood bunks. Drop the boat in the water and tie it up...then go to town w your new bunks to get them installed on the trailer. Fairly easy...alot less expensive than re-gel the inside/bottom of your boat!!
+1