5.7L or 7.4L?????? >

5.7L or 7.4L??????

Notices

5.7L or 7.4L??????

Old 08-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.7L or 7.4L??????

Im new to the site as some may have seen by my recent posts.
Im lookiing into the purchase of a Baja Caliber or Baja Hammer. The 1995 22' Caliber has rebuilt 7.4L said to have 425hp and the 2001 Hammer has a stock 5.7L. Anyone have and feedback on what would be the best decision motor wise. What can be expected in the way of performance between these two setups? fuel consumption? speed? etc.........
Thanks
Old 08-24-2011, 02:26 AM
Registered

Also....what about input on carb vs. fuel injection. Both boats, one with the 7.4L and the other with 5.7L are carb motors....carbs better or worse? better or worse for future mods (not that i have any planned) lol
advantages disadvantages for and or against carb / fuel injection.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 367 Likes on 246 Posts

engines? the bigger , the better. gives a better top speed, but even though it's not waht you are looking at, better top speed gives better cruising speed, thus, better fuel econony if you are trying to follow your friends, who would happen to have faster boats! plus, in sport boats, resale will be better on the long run with a 454 with the 2 models you mentionned.

Injection or carb ? a well tuned carbed will give you no problem at all, except pumping gas to start cold. if you know mecanic just enough, you might be able to solve a problem of no start or running rich condition by yourself.

injection: you can't touch it by yourself unless you have the computers with you ! but, starts easier, and you'll have a better / easier resale value on the long run...

I have nothing against carb, In fact Iprefer that for the previous reason, but market pushes for injection.

So: 454 injection !
Old 08-24-2011, 07:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jlbspd
The 1995 22' Caliber has rebuilt 7.4L said to have 425hp
I would want to investigate the history of that motor. Who rebuilt it? A reputable shop, or shade tree mechanic? If everything checked out, I'd rather have the BBC.

Bajas are pretty plentiful. If these boats don't have what you want, keep looking, there's lot of them out there.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with both of the above posts. I'll also add that the 454 should generally last longer, as you need less rpms to do the same thing with the 350. I would be very skeptical about buying a boat with a modded motor. You have to do all the upgrades together to make it work right. Make sure they not only upgraded the motor, but also the oil cooling system, oil lines, etc. It's not as simply as throwing a cam, intake and heads on it and hitting the water.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Registered

I have a Hammer with 555 cubic inch 610 HP that runs 85-87 on the GPS. I love the boat and at that speed it is a bit of a handful even with hydraulic steering. That being said, I love the boat. It is a 2001 that I bought new with the 310 HP 7.4. On the happy meeter it ran 66-67. I am sure it over estimated the speed by 3-6 MPH. I didn't have the GPS when I had the 7.4. I would pass on a Hammer with a 5.7. You will like it when you get it but you will find yourself wanting more pretty quick. I am not familiar with the Calibre. There are a ton of good deals out there and I think if you searched you could easily find a Hammer with the big block. You might even find one with the Mag which is much better for upgrading if choose to down the road. There are a lot of other good deals out there right now on boats other than Baja as well. If you are looking for this style boat, the only way to go is big block. Carb is fine, but it is easy to find fuel injection. My personal choice would be a Mag with a carb as that will be the easiest/cheapest to upgrade. Fuel Injection is nice for easy starts, but if you want to upgrade you will have to have the computer reflashed. Have fun.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Registered

Default Big Block for sure

I have a Hammer with 555 cubic inch 610 HP that runs 85-87 on the GPS. I love the boat and at that speed it is a bit of a handful even with hydraulic steering. That being said, I love the boat. It is a 2001 that I bought new with the 310 HP 7.4. On the happy meeter it ran 66-67. I am sure it over estimated the speed by 3-6 MPH. I didn't have the GPS when I had the 7.4. I would pass on a Hammer with a 5.7. You will like it when you get it but you will find yourself wanting more pretty quick. I am not familiar with the Calibre. There are a ton of good deals out there and I think if you searched you could easily find a Hammer with the big block. You might even find one with the Mag which is much better for upgrading if choose to down the road. There are a lot of other good deals out there right now on boats other than Baja as well. If you are looking for this style boat, the only way to go is big block. Carb is fine, but it is easy to find fuel injection. My personal choice would be a Mag with a carb as that will be the easiest/cheapest to upgrade. Fuel Injection is nice for easy starts, but if you want to upgrade you will have to have the computer reflashed. Have fun.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Registered

If you plan on future upgrades, find one with a 454Mag, not 454Bravo. Difference being forged internals and good heads that you can build on vs cast internals and peanut port heads that you will have to abandon to upgrade.

If you don't want to ever upgrade, there's nothing wrong with the non-Mag cast internals 454's. Good engine, last forever, but not easy to upgrade.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

The stock 5.7 boat will have an Alpha drive, which is bulletproof to about 350hp. The 7.4 boat will have a Bravo drive which is good to about 450hp. The Bravo gimbal will allow upgrades to the XR/XZ style drives which are good to 550hp.

Both of the motors in those boats are limited as to how much power you can get from them. The 5.7 will have cast goodies, and so will the 7.4. The 5.7 can be easily cranked up to 375hp, but you'll need heads, cam, and intake. The 7.4 can be cranked up to 450hp but you'll need the same sets of parts.

If somebody is telling you the motor in the boat makes 450hp, then make them prove it and give you a build sheet.

If you do not plan to hop up the boat, then whichever one runs, handles, and drives to suit you - checks out good on a motor inspection including a compression test and oil analysis, go with that one.