Hurricane at the Jersey Shore >

Hurricane at the Jersey Shore

Notices

Hurricane at the Jersey Shore

Old 08-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hurricane at the Jersey Shore

I am on a lagoon on Green Island in TR NJ. I am on a lift with a 38 Fountain Fever. Should I leave the boat on the lift or pull it out at Arrow Marine and leave it on the Trailer?? Never been thru this before and dont know what happens on the Lagoons?

thanks
dan
Old 08-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live on the Gulf Coast and survived Rita and Ike, you never know about how the tidal surge is ging to be plus the added tide effect. If left on the lift and the strom surge is slow rising the boat will float up with the rising water. Four things can happen, (1) the boat will rise and lower with the surge and nothing will happen - but don't bet on it, (2) the boat will rise and float off the straps or one of the straps will come off the boat and when the water recedes boat will "fall" where the strap has come off, (3) boat will rise with the water and the straps will move from their proper placement and the water recides and the boat is back on the straps, straps may cause damage to the hull, (4) boat will rise with water and if the water continues to rise boat will hit the roof of the lift and "bottom out" while water still rises causing damage to windshield and top of hull, if water continues to rise the boat will not and water will enter through exhaust and enter engines(s) where exhaust valve(s) are not fully seated becasue of the cam lobe, water still rises and enters cockpit area of boat. My advise from expirience, place on trailer and drive oppsite direction.

Good Luck
Old 08-25-2011, 05:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While cliff_m_b is correct if you live with direct access to major open water.
But back in Green Island the surge shouldn't be all that much. A lot of water would need to flow through Barnegat and Manasquan Inlets and fill Barnegat Bay to cause worry. Wind direction means everything. If it's blowing on shore it'll push water in. I'm sure you'll get a higher tide than usual but it may be no more than 2 feet. I'm only guessing from past memory.
I used to live in Snug Harbor across Silver Bay from you. Was there from 1963 to 1987. We had several hurricanes pass by and our dock was never under water. My floating dock never reached it's max travel.

I would suggest you tie the cradle and boat securely to prevent it from blowing around in the wind. If there's any place along the hull for it to contact a support or piling put fenders out in those places. And if you have more vertical travel I'd raise it as far as possible, just in case. Bring in anything that isn't nailed down.
If you do feel uncomfortable about letting it ride the storm, pull it our as soon a possible and bring it home. Don't wait, the sooner the better, ramps will be crowded with others doing the same.

I now live in Kissimmee Florida and we survived direct hits from hurricanes Charley, Frances, and Jeanne. Charley was the worst. My Formula F-206 is trailered and I parked it across the front of our garage to act as a wind break. It worked, but Charley's winds shifted the boat on the trailer. It had rolled a bit to port towards the house. We had winds of 120+.

Good luck.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm not an expert on hurricanes or boat lifts. But, if you have a trailer and truck, why take the risk of leaving the boat on the lift?
Old 08-25-2011, 11:37 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like he said, if you have a trailer why not pull it out?
Old 08-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I knew someone who left their boat on a lift during a high water/wind event, and it ended up upside down on the lawn with several holes in it. If you can, get it on the trailer.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:06 PM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

Along with this storm is a full moon which means higher tides at the same time the stomr hits. It's way to much to risk, you have the ability to pull it to safe ground I would do it, just don't park it near trees.

Good Luck
Old 08-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Registered

If you leave it in the water and the hurricane is a cat 3 or higher, say "Bye Bye Boat!" Put it on the trailer and drive far far away, at least 100 miles away from shoreline. Even 100 miles away, you can get 70+mph gusts with a Cat 3 hurricane. Don't park around trees. Assume they will fall and be uprooted. Take a vacation day if you must. Trust me, I have been through 4 hurricanes in Texas. Don't be surprised that people will not have electricity for 1-4 weeks. Clean out your fridge before you leave. Since this hurricane is going up the coast, re-powering all the down electrical lines may take a very long time.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the feed back. I am pulling the boat. If a CAT 3 Hurricane hits us and NYC, there will be bigger issues in all of our lives than Das Boat.
Thanks again.
dan
Old 08-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Registered

Pull it out! I am right here on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi and I can tell you about tidal surge! We had 10-15 ft of water in Gulfport up the rivers nearly 15 miles inland! In Bay St Louis, they had more than 20ft even further than that! Don't take the risk if you have other options to move it elsewhere!!!! If it gets really bad, call me, sign it over to me and I will bring it home! (a little humor under a very stressful situation!).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.