procharger vs. cam and ecu >

procharger vs. cam and ecu

Notices

procharger vs. cam and ecu

Old 08-31-2011, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default procharger vs. cam and ecu

i was talking to a a buddy of mine and he said that i should not waist my time with doing a raylar cam swap and ecu flash in my 2002 496 mag and i should just purchase a pro charger. What are the pros and cons of doing both? price point?

thanks

Joe
Old 08-31-2011, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Price, HP gain, and reliability all differ significantly between the two options. Try doing a search on both upgrades. Plenty of existing threads discussion both options.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chewyjr18
i was talking to a a buddy of mine and he said that i should not waist my time with doing a raylar cam swap and ecu flash in my 2002 496 mag and i should just purchase a pro charger. What are the pros and cons of doing both? price point?

thanks

Joe
I'm sure you will get lots of advice on this but from what I have learned from reading various post the 496 both HO and MAG have cast internals and unless you tear down and start from the bottom up bolting on a procharger is not a good idea. As for cost I thought i read somewhere on here that the Cam and ECU flash could be done for about $2000.00. which is probaly 1/3 of what you will end up paying for a properly installed procharger not to mention the 93 octane you will have to run. I was doing a little research because i am considering a boat with the MAG that at some time i might want to upgrade to a HO.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We've come up with a new program to make ProChargers work properly on 496 Mag HO (or base with HO cam). Cam and tune and even exhaust never come close to supercharging in terms of performance.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink How do I supercharge my 496??

Marine superchargers are a good way to make a lot of torque and power on some existing or special built marine engines.
I think Raylars knowledge, expeirence and results with the 496 Gen 7 marine and truck engines speaks for itself. However, that being said I think you must and should be careful placing any supercharger such as the quality pieces like Whipple and Procharger for one BIG and important reason.
The 496 (8.1L ) engine and its particular internals are always placed at the extreme edge of reliability when you supercharge the stock block. At Raylar we see on average about a 496 every few months, sometimes a month that has suffered catistrophic failure when it was run as a stock block with a bolt on supercharger system. This condition is apparent in a lot of other shops and boats around the world with a similar high rate of failure. The supercharger was not at fault, but the application of the supercharger and sometimes its setup and final tune.
At Raylar, we don't make big bucks selling Mag to HO camshaft and re-program upgrades and sometimes its more of a pain than its worth becuase so many boaters think they are qualified to make the change over and then we have to spend lots of phone calls and time helping them get through the conversion.
So if you go beyond an upgrade of just cams and exhausts on a stock 496 to add a supercharger system and programming, just be aware that the utlimate good long life and reliability aspect of your 496 will be at risk. Have the budget and means at your disposal for these costly repairs if and when this happens, or have the same budget to proprly redo the 496 with proper forged internals and supercharger build or you will be out of a boat for a long while!
Its as I say to many inquiries, its a crapshoot, you may be one of the lucky ones and use it safely for many good hours or you may be one of those who find yourself with a supercharged 496 engine in a parts basket on the shop foor, your call!
The problems of marine supercharging are not in the supercharger systems, but in the specs. and conditions of the base engine, the ultimate proper tune and the ability to monitor and adjust the correct air/fuel ratios under real boat loadings on the engine. Start from a good place and get it right and you will have a nice toy!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Last edited by Raylar; 09-04-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks raylar all of the info i have read is along the lines of what you have said. Plus i am afraid if i add too much power i will have to deal with drive issues im just trying to get another3-5 mph and a little more mid range. Planing on doing your cam and your ecu flash and some Eddie marine manifolds.

thanks and when its time to buy you know who i will be contacting i appreciate all of your expertise and knowledge because you have not once said not to do it, you have given me the pros and the cons and let me make my own decision. Ill choose the reliability and fun factor of knowing my boat is going to get me home over the sc!