help with 272 baja >

help with 272 baja

Notices

help with 272 baja

Old 09-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with 272 baja

i have a 96 272. behind my transom in the integrated swim platform i had about a gallon of water. there are 2 holes about 3/4 of the way up the transom towards the outside about an 1 1/4" in diameter. is there supposed to be drain holes toward the bottom of the transom to drain this area? other than the swim ladder screws i have no idea how that water got there unless the top and bottom deck joint leak. could someone with a 272 tell me if they have bottom drain holes? thank you
Old 09-04-2011, 07:22 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

No they dont,,,,post a couple pics
Old 09-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Registered

thats the hole in the transom. below that is a pocket behind the transom where the water was.

Last edited by perky2196; 09-04-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:00 AM
Registered

I've never seen water in that area on my 272, but it could certainly splash up in there in rough seas, if you had any water in your bilge. You could always drill a drain hole, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Park it on the trailer on a steep downhill, and she'll drain out.

It is possible you have a leak at the joint, as you mentioned.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Baja had those same unsealed drain holes located a good 6" from the bottom of that void. Water would never drain out, and rotted out my transom. The bottom of that void had glass just shoved down in there, not layed up as should have been and not sealing the coreing, which was soaked and rotted too. I guesss outta sight, Fugg It, was the motto during the construction. When I replaced the transom, I drilled the holes at the bottom of that void and sealed the hole with resin followed up with a layer of glass lining the holes. Poke the wood there and see if it is black rotted wood.
The drain hole can bee seen in the 1st pic. This is with just the layer of glass removed. The water path within the transom can clearly be seen. The 2nd pic shows how high the hole is above the bottom of that caivity it is supposed to drain after the transom was removed, using the drive cutout as a reference point to 1st pic.

Water got in past the non sealed deck/hull joint.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 10:58 AM.