stock 502 hold up to a blower? >

stock 502 hold up to a blower?

Notices

stock 502 hold up to a blower?

Old 09-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock 502 hold up to a blower?

hey guys, i have 2 stock 502 mag mpi motors and i want to convert them to a carb and blower setup, just want to run small blowers or what ever you guys think will work. let me know thanks alot
Old 09-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by Kichler
hey guys, i have 2 stock 502 mag mpi motors and i want to convert them to a carb and blower setup, just want to run small blowers or what ever you guys think will work. let me know thanks alot
keep your fi and add a set of prochargers and have your pcm's reflashed by mark boos..dont go over 5psi of boost and you will be fine..
Old 09-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
keep your fi and add a set of prochargers and have your pcm's reflashed by mark boos..dont go over 5psi of boost and you will be fine..
im not really sure i want the efi, my last 502 mpi went through pcm's, in 3 years 2 pcms burnt out, after i finally switched to a merlin single plane intake and 780 holley, better performance and a hell of a lot simpler setup. just want a little more out of the 502's i have a 28 challenger with 28p props and im seeing 68-69 all the time on gps. i would think with a 28' boat with twin 502s should run alot faster.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

im not really sure i want the efi, my last 502 mpi went through pcm's, in 3 years 2 pcms burnt out, after i finally switched to a merlin single plane intake and 780 holley, better performance and a hell of a lot simpler setup. just want a little more out of the 502's i have a 28 challenger with 28p props and im seeing 68-69 all the time on gps. i would think with a 28' boat with twin 502s should run alot faster.
who's props are you running? sounds like your boat may be running wet and may need more stern and bow lift to air it out..have a fiend run next to you and take a video of your boat running at wot,,,years ago my little was not as fast as i wanted it so i sent my prop out to dah propellers in german town wi, when i got the prop back from him the only part of my 18 in the water was the last 2' of the boat and the sterndrive..i picked up 6 mph..

i know what you mean about efi vs a carb,,you can always fix a carb problem with kmart tools

do you have bravos or trs drives?
Old 09-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Spend a little extra now while you have the intake off. I would pull the heads, check the valve springs and for sure replace the head gaskets. To go a step further but not necessary I would replace the camshaft with somethiong better suited to a supercharged application and think about replacing the exhaust valves with inconel.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Registered

ever tried 26p ?
Old 09-05-2011, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by tbanzer
Spend a little extra now while you have the intake off. I would pull the heads, check the valve springs and for sure replace the head gaskets. To go a step further but not necessary I would replace the camshaft with somethiong better suited to a supercharged application and think about replacing the exhaust valves with inconel.
The stock 502 mag cam is ground on a 115* lsa. I.t will work fine for a blower. I do agree with the valve springs and some MLS headgaskets.

You can do a procharger setup with a carb. You can also do a roots blower or whipple setup. Some 250/256 blowers will make 575-600hp on your engines.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Registered

my bros 22 classic had a whipple for almost a full season on a bone stock merc..... we knew it was only time before something happened pushing 86mph