Notices

no spark issues

Old 09-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no spark issues

I am new to this site and am in need of some help. I have a 1997 Baja 302 boss with carberated 7.4 mercruisers,one of the motors had been hard to start as if flooding out. Now the motor just turns over great, but will not fire .I have good fuel deliveryto the crab and i have changed out the coil. I put a spark tester on the coil to the distributer and have no fire. I am getting good ohm readings to the posts on the coil.Not sure where to go from here. thanks Scott
Old 09-23-2011, 01:15 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by msa4016@hotmail.
I am new to this site and am in need of some help. I have a 1997 Baja 302 boss with carberated 7.4 mercruisers,one of the motors had been hard to start as if flooding out. Now the motor just turns over great, but will not fire .I have good fuel deliveryto the crab and i have changed out the coil. I put a spark tester on the coil to the distributer and have no fire. I am getting good ohm readings to the posts on the coil.Not sure where to go from here. thanks Scott
Are you getting power to the coil? Could be a bad pickup in the distributor
Old 09-23-2011, 01:28 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,812 Likes on 902 Posts

Get a Merc Manual and run through the ignition trobleshooting flow chart.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Registered

OK I bought the mercruiser/chiltons manuel tested power to the coil, and I do not have any power to my coil. My key switch will turn the motor over but my volt gauge isnt working on the dash, both batteries have full charge?
Old 09-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Registered

Sounds like you could possibly have a bad connection or broken wire behind the ign switch/dash. Also, check wiring to safety kill switches. A test light chasing the purple wire is what you wanna do.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Registered

Alright, checked both engine safety kill swithces the motor in question only had power to the bottom post the top post with key on had no power output. would this cause the gauges not to work and my no spark? the manual does not cover the safety kill switches. If I didnt say thank you earlier I appreciate it, this is making me pull my hairs out.the boat was running fine then became hard as heck to start and then nothing..
Old 09-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Registered

Sound like your kill switch is no hood, or the lanyard is missing! Try bypassing the kill switch and give it a crank
Old 09-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Registered

Well, this website is great help, it was corrosion on the safety lanyard switch posts.cleaned them up and dash came to life and motor fired right up! Man I cant thank you guys enough for making me step back take a deep breath and check the little things. Thanks again Scott
Old 09-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Registered

Well, this website is great help, it was corrosion on the safety lanyard switch posts.cleaned them up and dash came to life and motor fired right up! Man I cant thank you guys enough for making me step back take a deep breath and check the little things. Thanks again Scott
Old 09-23-2011, 06:04 PM
Registered

No problem.