Electric water pumps

Notices

Electric water pumps

Old 09-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric water pumps

This might be an old question.
I am new to the site and being a long time hot rodder> I just replaced the circulation water pump on my 502 EFI mercruiser, why couldn't we run a high performance electric water pump? has any one done this? they are Aluminum, rebuild-able and saves HP.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whichcraft
This might be an old question.
I am new to the site and being a long time hot rodder> I just replaced the circulation water pump on my 502 EFI mercruiser, why couldn't we run a high performance electric water pump? has any one done this? they are Aluminum, rebuild-able and saves HP.
What? one more thing to go wrong? IF you want to run a rubber impellor pump look into Glenwood cam driven pump. Easy clean set up. Replace the timing cover and put a drive on the end of the cam. It will run you about $550. or so
Old 09-26-2011, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I believe the pump you are referring to is the circulation pump on the front of the motor. I have asked the same question. I currently run with out a pump and use a crossover over kit from Stainless marine. The problem I have is the starboard side runs cooler than the port side because the way the water inlet comes into the crossover directs more water to that side. I am thinking about making a restricter to balance the flow. Anyone have any thoughts on this?