Looking for good Ipad mount >

Looking for good Ipad mount

Notices

Looking for good Ipad mount

Old 10-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for good Ipad mount

I run Navionics on my Ipad and Iphone for GPS. Normally just have the phone on a suction windshield mount, but would like to find a good mount for the Ipad (bigger screen, faster processing, etc.).

Maybe a window mount, maybe something else.... waterproof would be good too.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 10-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Registered

I do the same thing. Run Navionics and MotionX on the IPhone & IPad. I use Ram mounts and Otterbox cases. Works very well.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Registered

And with the Otterbox, the touch screen works o.k.? And waterproof, correct?

What I'm looking for is a case that allows the power cord to be hooked up to it while in use, looks decent, and is either windshield surface mounted (suction), or panel mounted.

Thanks!

Last edited by puzzleboy; 10-04-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by puzzleboy

What I'm looking for is a case that allows the power cord to be hooked up to it while in use, looks decent, and is either windshield surface mounted (suction), or panel mounted.

Thanks!
Otter box is not water proof but the back of it has a place that slides off to allow wide open access to the USB connection port, this piece has to be removed to charge or do anything so I just leave it off all the time
Old 10-07-2011, 10:45 AM
jrz
Registered

Is the Navionics software the same as in a standard GPS, in regards to trails and waypoints? Meaning, are all of the normal features intact?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by puzzleboy

Thanks!
This is my new setup with a 3G iPad 2 on my Stingray 230sx. It is a RAM Rail Mount kit and I bought it on eBay. The rail mount kit is VERY adjustable/sturdy(I would not use a suction mount for an iPad) and attaches perfectly to my windsheild rail. I am going to hardwire it in to my CD Deck(which has a USB power source) and it will be able to control all the music from it as well. I will be testing it out this summer.

[I hope this free image hosting site works]
If the image doesn't show up, try just going directly to:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/acn19

Any other feedback on the NAVIONICS iPad app? I have yet to spend the $30 to download it.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I have heard very good things about the new Lifeproof Iphone and Ipad cases. They are supposed to be waterproof (you can surf and swim with your Iphone) and it appears they have a descent selection of mounts. When I get my new iphone I will ditch the otterbox and get the lifeproof case.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Registered

The main problem with all waterproof iPad cases is that you can't have the power cord or the headphone jack hooked up.

I am hoping mine will be semi-safe up under the windshield. The main thing that I am worried about is over heating. I know that I have had my iPhone out on the boat and gotten the over heat warning a few times. I guess if it gets a little hot, I will just throw a towel over it. And if it is about to get wet from rain or rough water, I will throw a gallon size zip-loc bag over it. -Or- I can easily unclip it and throw it in the cabin... I am definitely looking forward to testing it out though
Old 02-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnightR6
The main problem with all waterproof iPad cases is that you can't have the power cord or the headphone jack hooked up.

I am hoping mine will be semi-safe up under the windshield. The main thing that I am worried about is over heating. I know that I have had my iPhone out on the boat and gotten the over heat warning a few times. I guess if it gets a little hot, I will just throw a towel over it. And if it is about to get wet from rain or rough water, I will throw a gallon size zip-loc bag over it. -Or- I can easily unclip it and throw it in the cabin... I am definitely looking forward to testing it out though

With the lifeproof case you can use headphones, and I believe have the power plugged in while still being waterproof. I think all you need is a small adapter to keep the case waterproof.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great thread!

I am looking to do something similar with my iPad 1 once I upgrade to the iPad 3. Mine is only wifi so anyone used one of these BT GPS antenna with an iPad? (more specifically with the navionics software)

http://www.amazon.com/GNS-5870-MFI-R...8652760&sr=8-3

For mounts check out www.seasucker.com, saw these used on shipshape tv to mount an iPad!