272 LS upgrades?

Notices
Formula

272 LS upgrades?

Old 10-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 272 LS upgrades?

Well, I just put the boat away for the winter and its time to start dreaming again. I was just wondering what people have done the their old 272's? I was thinking about possibly going with some 383 strokers and would like to know what other motors people have run. Has any one gone with counter rotating drives? Upgraded trim tabs? Simple mods possibly exhaust, intakes or vortec heads? Any help or input on what has worked for you would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Zach
Old 10-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula 04071
Well, I just put the boat away for the winter and its time to start dreaming again. I was just wondering what people have done the their old 272's? I was thinking about possibly going with some 383 strokers and would like to know what other motors people have run. Has any one gone with counter rotating drives? Upgraded trim tabs? Simple mods possibly exhaust, intakes or vortec heads? Any help or input on what has worked for you would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Zach
The 272LS has always been one of my favorites...I owned one and may end up with a second. The boat is such a good fit for a lot of reasons.

If your small blocks have solid rotating assembly's a quick and reasonably cost tweak is to find 2: sets of Vortec heads and matching intakes. I personally am partial to Holley Double Pumpers on these motors but many like the Edelbrock, Webers as well as the Q-Jet. This will put a quick and easy additional 100 Horse Power and about as much additional torque in the water...and you will feel it.

This will definitely freshen your boat up without breaking the bank or creating a rig that you have to constantly be frigging around with instead of being on the water.

Counter rotating drives is a good idea...but with No 1's or Alpha Gen 1's I don't think you can do it. A contact of mine in Miami went with Gen 2 Alphas counter rotating on his 272 and says it's much more stable above 50...I have no reason to doubt it.

As far as the 383 strokers are concerned...I am re-powering my 255 currently and decided to stay with the standard stroke. My engine guy told me that he would build anything I wanted but told me this ...he will warranty any 350 standard stroke engine he builds for 3 years/Unlimited hours. If I want 383 drop that to 1 year. It's pretty simple to get 325~350 HP out of 350 cu small blocks...that's 650~700 HP in the water with twins. A 272 pre -FasTech hull hits it's limit at about 70~75 MPH. If you put 800 HP behind it you aren't going to ever get it over 80....so why spend another $10K that you will never see the benefit from?...take your wife on a vacation to Italy...you'll get more mileage from the $$$$$... if you know what I mean.

Our old deep vee's will never run with the step hulls given similar power....but they sure do ride good and in my opinion have nicer lines with more character.

Have fun with it.

Last edited by sprink58; 10-24-2011 at 08:32 PM.