1993 Scarab Viper...thoughts?? >

1993 Scarab Viper...thoughts??

Notices

Old 11-26-2011, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1993 Scarab Viper...thoughts??

Hey guys, I am thinking of unloading my formula 272 even though I love it and I am getting close to making it 100% what I want it to be.

There is a 1993 Scarab 31 viper in swap shop. Looks very clean. It is larger, bigger is always better right?? Supposed to be fresh power also. Nothing insane but the ownere says the 454's should be around 450hp each.

I can't seem to find any real info on these boats. Anything to look for? Are they not a desirable hull?

And with that power what is an honest speed I should expect? I have 385hp 454 mags in my formula and best I have seen is 68 mph. this boat is bigger and heavier so about the same on top end??

Any and all info is greatly appreciated as I am looking to do this deal asap, like tomorrow even!
Old 11-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 363 Likes on 208 Posts

I think those 31' Vipers are cool! I love the cockpit layout. My only suggestion is get a survey completed.... Its good to know what your getting into...
Old 11-26-2011, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great boats runs good in the rough...speeds in the mid 70's with 454's....its a scarab so i would check the transom and make sure its dry and agree with j-bonz get a complete survey on the boat....you will not regret getting the viper....
Old 11-26-2011, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja226sport
I think they are pretty sweet looking boats. But it is a Wellcraft boat so get it surveyed. And I know people say that it has fresh power. But if you did not have it built or put it in yourself it is still USED power. Not saying that it is not fresh, but after buying boats, cars, motorcycles and snowmobiles it is all used power unless warrantied. Budget for it, and base your offer on it.

Good luck, if you get it you won't be disappointed.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Registered

Why can I not find any info at all on these? Limited run or something?
Old 11-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja226sport
Why can I not find any info at all on these? Limited run or something?
I think they ceased production cause the Viper name. Something about a licensing agreement or law suit.

Last edited by Rookie; 11-26-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i always budget 25% of what the boat cost for issues/surprises....nine times out if ten you gonna have to redue the motors....i always do it as soon as i get the boat and get it over with b/c if you know boats its not IF but WHEN you going to have to rebuild....
Old 11-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MrSneakAttack
i always budget 25% of what the boat cost for issues/surprises....nine times out if ten you gonna have to redue the motors....i always do it as soon as i get the boat and get it over with b/c if you know boats its not IF but WHEN you going to have to rebuild....
I know, this is not my first time.....I hate talk of reality. It tends to make me nervous when getting into a deal like this. It is good to hear it though because it is easy to be blinded a bit when your looking at something your think you really want!