Notices
Formula

Whipple Charged 292

Old 11-29-2011, 11:09 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whipple Charged 292

Have any of the 292 Fastech/6.2L MPX owners thought of putting whipple chargers on their motors? If anyone has experience with the set up let me know.

The conversion is not cheap, but it seems like it would wake up a 292 pretty well.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Registered

Ive got ProChargers I am hoping to install this winter. Should see around 85 mph from what I have been told. Got a smoking deal on the kits plus labbed 32 Bravos, otherwise I wouldve looked at Whipples.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 08 fastech 292
Have any of the 292 Fastech/6.2L MPX owners thought of putting whipple chargers on their motors? If anyone has experience with the set up let me know.

The conversion is not cheap, but it seems like it would wake up a 292 pretty well.
Have wondered about that, myself. Perfect engine: forged steel Lunati crank, roller rockers, billet steel camshaft. Since it's not a cast parts, thoughout, engine, it should be a sweet engine for mods. I don't think that a lot of people realize that it is much lighter than a big block but has tremendous potential. I admit to being tempted by a whipple on my single 6.2. LOL.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought 6.2s had cast pistons like the 496. Am I wrong? Because if they are cast that would be a concern.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:50 PM
Registered

I think that the pistons are hypereutectic which probably means cast. That and the rods could be a concern, depending on boost. Unless the boost was excessive, though, I think that they would be Ok but a proffessional engine builder would know for sure.

I remember seeing a write up of a Whipple install on a stock 4.6 mustang Gt engine. They did an outrageous number of back to back dyno runs on the engine, something like 30, then tore the engine down to check for wear. They encountered no problems with worn/ damaged parts. They ran quite a bit of boost. That engine uses hypereutectic pistons and sintered rods and had no problem.