Amps in the Eng Compartment >

Amps in the Eng Compartment

Notices

Amps in the Eng Compartment

Old 12-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amps in the Eng Compartment

About to put a stereo in the boat that requires some amps for subs and other speakers. The easiest place to put the amps is on the fwd fire wall of the eng compartment. Wondered if anyone has done this?Kinda worried about the heat and the moisture. I could put them in the cabin but would like them out of the way. There are electrical components already mounted to the eng firewall but just wanted to see what you guys thought. Any ideas on what else I might need to look out for.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried that with a pair of Jenson 780's and they kept tripping on thermal...relocated them under the rear seat with a computer fan from Radio Shack...all is well
Old 12-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Registered

thats not a bad idea will have to check for room but that sounds like a really good spot for them
Old 12-06-2011, 04:25 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Flamingo 32
I tried that with a pair of Jenson 780's and they kept tripping on thermal...relocated them under the rear seat with a computer fan from Radio Shack...all is well
x2, I have two amps mounted under my rear seat! Lost some room for life preservers but sometimes you have to make sacrifices!
Old 12-06-2011, 06:24 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I have three amps and a large capacitor on the forward wall in my engine compartment. Short run of wire to fire them up.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:11 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

My amps were in the engine bay when I first got boat, found that the local Coast Guard would have folks open hatches and do an inspect, so moved them under the seat as well, works well and as long as there is an air path to let the hot air out from under the seat, it is fine.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Registered

I'm a fan of mounting them on a bulkhead up front just forward of the cockpit. High and dry, takes a bit more time but done right they look factory and easy to get to. Use MDF board to build up around the amps and hide the wiriing and cover with what ever color vinyl.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

mounted a single 1000 watt amp in the engine compartment to power a subwoofer. was super easy to wire, and is out of the way. i figured it took less of a beating in the engine compartment then anywhere else in the boat. havent had issues with it tripper or anything like that. after a long run with the music blasting ill open the engine compartment and let some fresh air in to cool it down. maybe not a bad idea to run a computer fan to it for this season!
Old 12-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Perlmudder
mounted a single 1000 watt amp in the engine compartment to power a subwoofer. was super easy to wire, and is out of the way. i figured it took less of a beating in the engine compartment then anywhere else in the boat. havent had issues with it tripper or anything like that. after a long run with the music blasting ill open the engine compartment and let some fresh air in to cool it down. maybe not a bad idea to run a computer fan to it for this season!
the only huge problem with it in the engine compartment is that it is not USCG legal. Explosion hazard. not to mention it is usually above 100° in there.. But i'm not sure if you have the same laws in Canada
Old 12-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Registered

On my first boat, I had 4 amps and 2 10" subs mounted under my rear bench. It would really get hot under there if I had the music on for awhile, so I just cut 2 holes in the carpet of the rear bench (where ur heels would be if sitting down) and put two 6" speaker covers over the holes to allow some air flow under there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.