View Full Version : Ford F350 Diesel 4x4 SRW

PhantomChaos
01-18-2012, 04:34 PM
With there are four axle ratio choices with the SRW and diesel. I have no idea which is better.....or for what reason. Any input? See below.

BDiggity
01-18-2012, 04:47 PM
With there are four axle ratio choices with the SRW and diesel. I have no idea which is better.....or for what reason. Any input? See below.

i always like to assume the most expensive option is the best one which i will end up wanting, even if i dont need it.

:lolhit:

Sydwayz
01-18-2012, 04:51 PM
With the load you will be towing, you definately want the 3.55; and you also want the Locking Rear End for traction on the ramp. (Since I know this won't be a daily driver for you; the fuel mileage is not a concern for said use.)

Since you are looking at 4x4, you will have that in reserve, but there is no advantage to a non-locking axle.

Are you going to send it off and have it changed into an X?

PhantomChaos
01-18-2012, 05:06 PM
An "X"?

Sydwayz
01-18-2012, 05:42 PM
An "X"?

eXcursion

45Tripps
01-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Personally I like the 4.11 gearing for towing at a minimum. Especially towing heavy loads, and a locking/positraction differential is a must. The lower gearing provides for great torque multiplication.

With a 5 and 6 speed transmissions of today, the rear gearing at highway speeds in inconsequential.

Currently I have 4.88 on one vehicle, & with the 35" taller tires on the truck, the final drive ratio is around 4.20-4.30, and 4.56 on another tow vehicle.

Sydwayz
01-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Personally I like the 4.11 gearing for towing at a minimum. Especially towing heavy loads, and a locking/positraction differential is a must. The lower gearing provides for great torque multiplication.

With a 5 and 6 speed transmissions of today, the rear gearing at highway speeds in inconsequential.

Currently I have 4.88 on one vehicle, & with the 35" taller tires on the truck, the final drive ratio is around 4.20-4.30, and 4.56 on another tow vehicle.

I tend to agree, but it looks as thought it may not be available.
(Remember, both the front and rear gears need to match in a 4x4, but Ford knows that.)

The 3.55 is more of a mileage gear than a towing gear. But the new Diesels have a lot more power which can and probably does make up for that.

IF you plan to go to bigger wheels and tires, you most certainly will want a 4.11 gear set. Or at least a 3.73. For these you may have to special order...
... or you can change the gears down the road. It's not a major project. Just gear swap changes in both pumpkins, and some computer adjusting of the torque management and transmission shift points.

45Tripps
01-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Plus being a SRW, there is more surface area for tire contact for more traction too......:party-smiley-004:

PhantomChaos
01-19-2012, 11:06 AM
The one I've found has the 3.55 Electronic Locking Axle. The other choices (which I deleted from the graphic) are only for the gas engine.

fossil fuel
01-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Nort, Buy my 06 ! You will just take it to some shop, take the motor out, rip it apart, change the interior, paint it, lift it or lower it, change the tires and rims, never use it and talk about it forever........for $30K less than new. :coolcowboy::coolcowboy::coolcowboy:

PhantomChaos
01-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Dave.....you are a funny guy!!!!! :)

Neverfastenuf
01-19-2012, 01:20 PM
I have the 3.55 and E Locker in my new SD. Perfect ratio, and the 6.7 has plenty of power. You will really enjoy the truck. My Wife enjoys driving my truck as much as her 750LI and Porsche CTT.:drink:

Sam

Jassman
01-19-2012, 06:13 PM
The one I've found has the 3.55 Electronic Locking Axle. The other choices (which I deleted from the graphic) are only for the gas engine.

I have this on both my 11's... F250 and F350. You will find the locking diff to come in handy. Yesterday on one of the muddy jobsites I pulled out 2 1/2 tons..a Tundra and Z71..The Tundra was a 2wd..but was blocking the 4wd Chevy....I have some better All Terrain tires..locked it in 4 hi..pulled the knob towards me..not even low..and slowly pulled out both of them at the same time out of the mud without slipping...way better than both your posi wheels spinning and one in the front.. What you want is to order posi..and locking differential..and the stock 20's that came on the 250 was Michelon which is a good all around tire that you will see about 45k out of...the BFG's I have on the 350 are more aggressive and slightly louder at hwy speeds..but work in my application well..Good luck. Jeff

3.55 gears are the tallest you can get...unless you get a dooley.. Ive always had 3.73, and 4.10's..but the new trucks have way more refined power and torque and are still better than my 08 and 10 dooleys with the taller gears..plus mileage is way up..especially when towing.. I just came back from towing a boat from MS to FT. Pierce FL and I averaged 10.2 mpg at and average 0f 72mph..wheres before I was getting 8.1..at 70mph..and oil change intervals are slightly longer even with the dpf fluid..savings all the way around..

offshorexcursion
01-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Either gear ratio WITH the electric locking Diff. My guess is (have not researched yet but the Dodge Power Wagon is like this) That when not electronically locked in the rear is a limited slip diff.

I tow heavy with 3.42 gears and upgraded to 33" tires and love them. No problems, plenty of power, plus better fuel economy.

If you are lifting your truck and installing 37" tires or larger you will need to change your ratio anyways so again either ratio will work.

Stock tires, either ratio will work good

BTW, the new Ford does have traction control

I have spent hundreds of miles behind the wheel of my friends 2012 F 250 lariat. NICE TRUCKS! I am Still a Ram/Cummins guy but WOW, what a difference from his 06 I used to drive around!

Enjoy your new truck!

HabanaJoe
01-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Plus being a SRW, there is more surface area for tire contact for more traction too......:party-smiley-004:

It's pressure/sq in not area in sq. inches if you insist on mocking me at least get it right :lolhit:

Seriously, I'm laughing my azz off right now that was too funny, thanks for making a bad day end with laughter!

Wildman_grafix
01-19-2012, 08:49 PM
I have this on both my 11's... F250 and F350. You will find the locking diff to come in handy. Yesterday on one of the muddy jobsites I pulled out 2 1/2 tons..a Tundra and Z71..The Tundra was a 2wd..but was blocking the 4wd Chevy....I have some better All Terrain tires..locked it in 4 hi..pulled the knob towards me..not even low..and slowly pulled out both of them at the same time out of the mud without slipping...way better than both your posi wheels spinning and one in the front.. What you want is to order posi..and locking differential..and the stock 20's that came on the 250 was Michelon which is a good all around tire that you will see about 45k out of...the BFG's I have on the 350 are more aggressive and slightly louder at hwy speeds..but work in my application well..Good luck. Jeff

3.55 gears are the tallest you can get...unless you get a dooley.. Ive always had 3.73, and 4.10's..but the new trucks have way more refined power and torque and are still better than my 08 and 10 dooleys with the taller gears..plus mileage is way up..especially when towing.. I just came back from towing a boat from MS to FT. Pierce FL and I averaged 10.2 mpg at and average 0f 72mph..wheres before I was getting 8.1..at 70mph..and oil change intervals are slightly longer even with the dpf fluid..savings all the way around..
I see a FORD commercial in there!

PhantomChaos
01-22-2012, 12:40 PM
My wife and I test drove the F350 single wheel drive, and then just I drive the F450 dually back to back yesterday. Both trucks are crew cab, long bed, diesel 4x4, ride really nice and have great power. She liked the look of the 450 with the wheel flairs but not the F350 without the flairs (LOL).

I think the dually will be too much truck for us as we really don't tow that much, we like to go to the snow once in awhile, and our nanny would drive this vehicle with our boy. It's also harder to wash, hard to park.....and folks say dually's are not great in snow.

The F350 SRW is juuuuuuust enough truck and as I believe our towed load is somewhere between 13,500 and 14,000 (and with the addition of weight distribution hitch to my trailer) we will be under the rating. Easier to wash, easier to park, easier for everything........tires, rims.

PhantomChaos
01-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Nunnoooooo

Sydwayz
01-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Good call on the long bed too Norty. It's an unquantifiable difference towing, but the wheelbase also "makes it better."

Jimbo going to hook you upon rims? Make sure you get some tires with large white letters! It's all the rage. :D That way it will match all that chrome on the front!

Do you have EoH on the trailer already?
Also, eyeball the numbers on the hitch receiver itself when you get your truck. I all but guarantee that you can buy a stronger one.

Also, what about the Ex? I bet it will do well on eBay.

Jassman
01-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Bushwackers man.....

theres these kind. pocket style

http://www.bushwacker.com/fender.asp?dhtmlgoodies_TruckSUV=1&dhtmlgoodies_model=394&search=Search

and then these are my favorite..LOL

http://rumshopryan.com/2010/04/07/bushwacker-recipe/

37ol
01-22-2012, 09:38 PM
I see a FORD commercial in there!
Here's your Ford commercial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Kq5B47_S0

PhantomChaos
01-22-2012, 10:51 PM
Good call on the long bed too Norty. It's an unquantifiable difference towing, but the wheelbase also "makes it better."

Jimbo going to hook you upon rims? Make sure you get some tires with large white letters! It's all the rage. :D That way it will match all that chrome on the front!

Do you have EoH on the trailer already?
Also, eyeball the numbers on the hitch receiver itself when you get your truck. I all but guarantee that you can buy a stronger one.

Also, what about the Ex? I bet it will do well on eBay.

I'm sure that Jimbo can help some on some rims. :)

Yes I have Electric over Hydraulic brakes on the trailer. The factory hitch has the same sticker on the F350 SRW as on the Dually F450 and rated at 17,500 weight distributed and 8,500 carry.

The Excursion.....not sure what we'll do with it yet. It's only got about 40K miles on it.

Sydwayz
01-22-2012, 11:10 PM
18000 carry:
http://www.curtmfg.com/index.cfm?event=hitch.search
Drill down thru 2012 Ford options.

18000 carry:
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/F-250+and+F-350+Super+Duty/2012/45297.html?vehicleid=2012301027

PhantomChaos
01-22-2012, 11:15 PM
18000 carry:
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/F-250+and+F-350+Super+Duty/2012/45297.html?vehicleid=2012301027

This is nearly the same as the stock unit (17,500lbs). It says 18,000 trailer weight with a weight distribution hitch.

PhantomChaos
01-24-2012, 12:07 AM
Done deal. It's in my driveway now. :)

Thanks for everyone's help!

Sydwayz
01-24-2012, 12:18 AM
This is nearly the same as the stock unit (17,500lbs). It says 18,000 trailer weight with a weight distribution hitch.

Look to the right, says 18K WC as well. I am not trying to talk you out of a WD hitch setup, not by any means. I just don't like factory hitches.

Sydwayz
01-24-2012, 12:19 AM
Congrats Norty!!

Dean Ferry
01-24-2012, 06:32 AM
Nort,
Congrats on the new ride, I have the same color combo on my '06. Everybody I've talked with loves the new power stroke!
Dean

BLAZE
01-24-2012, 07:21 AM
Sweet :coolcowboy:

PhantomChaos
01-24-2012, 03:31 PM
This thing is pretty tall just stock. My Excursion has a 5.5" lift and 35" tires!!! Pretty close! :drink::drink::drink:

Jassman
01-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Congrats Nort..you will really enjoy that truck..The sync is awesome..and the download on the stereo unit allows you to download something like 26k songs..takes about 3-4 minutes to download a CD..and the seats for long 12-13 hour days trailering are the best in the industry.. ENJOY..and I like the LWB..great ride. Jeff

PhantomChaos
01-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Congrats Nort..you will really enjoy that truck..The sync is awesome..and the download on the stereo unit allows you to download something like 26k songs..takes about 3-4 minutes to download a CD..and the seats for long 12-13 hour days trailering are the best in the industry.. ENJOY..and I like the LWB..great ride. Jeff

Thanks.........have to read about all that. It actually has more electronic stuff than my Benz, but it's powered by Microsoft right? I may have to pull over and reboot my truck at some point! LOL :drink::drink::drink:

ChargeIt
01-24-2012, 08:20 PM

There is a big difference between a tongue rated hitch for 18k gross and the stock hitch rated at 8.5k
The weight distribution is relatively the same because they are both pushing close to the max that a frame mount should use (also the 18k plus 8k truck weight is at 26k which is max weight before some states require a class A license.)

Dont forget your tow is no stronger than its weakest link.
A ball mount and ball equal or greater is also needed. http://www.curtmfg.com/index.cfm?event=prodetail&id=143&categoryid=47

Nothing as ironic as seeing a guy brag about his upgraded hitch only to see an 8k 10" drop mount :angry-smiley-044:

I wont say, dont do the WD hitch either but u just dropped that much on a new truck and sounds like will be towing a pretty big rig so dont skimp on the hitch components.

Unless you are towing some huge cabin cruiser or constant mountains, I am not sure the lower profile of a well balanced boat will justify the sway control needed on high profile, top heavy box trailers.

Neverfastenuf
01-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Yep, like Jass said, you will really like the truck. The Sync is great. I use the weather update all the time here. Shows radar and everything. Very cool here in the mountains. You can watch the storms when travelling. Lots of "gadgets" to learn.

Oh yea, the sway control is really cool also. It WORKS.

Sam

PhantomChaos
01-25-2012, 10:31 AM
These are the stickers on the hitch and truck door area. It is the same hitch and sticker on the F350 Dually, and the F450 Dually. The truck included an option that boosted the GVWR to 11,500lbs, so does that also boost the towing capacity from the stock 14,000lbs? So confusing......also there is no GCWR on the sticker. :angry-smiley-038:

Knot 4 Me
01-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Thanks.........have to read about all that. It actually has more electronic stuff than my Benz, but it's powered by Microsoft right? I may have to pull over and reboot my truck at some point! LOL :drink::drink::drink:

If you have an iPhone with songs loaded on it, you will find that your songs will start to play automatically via bluetooth audio every time you start your truck and your phone pairs up. There is an option for "Autoplay" that you can turn off but it will not stop the problem. To prevent Sync from starting music on your iPhone when it pairs, you have to have your system input set to "Line In" and remember to reset it to "Line In" if you ever hook up via bluetooth audio or USB to play tunes off your phone. Otherwise, Sync is great.

wannabe
01-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Nort congrats on a great truck- I would put a Reese Titan hitch they are good to 18,000 lbs.

Wannabe

45Tripps
01-25-2012, 03:20 PM
Nort congrats on a great truck- I would put a Reese Titan hitch they are good to 18,000 lbs.

Wannabe

The tow beast is the hitch to have. Never can have one strong enough.

http://www.redtrailers.com/ListItems.asp?cat=81

This one is rated to 25k weight carrying, and 4k tongue weight.. Its availabe in a weld on and bolt on configuration. Has a 3" receiver tube.
http://www.redtrailers.com/ShowItem.asp?id=38208

ChargeIt
01-25-2012, 07:59 PM
These are the stickers on the hitch and truck door area. It is the same hitch and sticker on the F350 Dually, and the F450 Dually. The truck included an option that boosted the GVWR to 11,500lbs, so does that also boost the towing capacity from the stock 14,000lbs? So confusing......also there is no GCWR on the sticker. :angry-smiley-038:

The increased GVWR mainly helps cover your azz if the truck was to get scaled by DOT. It is pretty easy to go over the 9900# rating on older trucks so 11,500 is nice. The 11.5k is apparently giving owners in certain states heartburn the way some laws are written conerning vehicles with a GVWR over 10k

Your tow capacity right now is limited by the hitch. Using the first picture; You have a 2.5 receiver which values are noted by the left table. If the 2" reduction sleeve is used, even lower values on the right apply.
Non-WD, the most you are rated currently is a measley 8,500# IF a 2.5" ball mount is used. Get a stronger hitch, ball mount and ball as suggested earlier to tow heavier loads.

(cheap and ignorant; these OEM brag huge weights but install substandard hitches when a properly rated hitch would probably cost less than $100 to the mfg )

Sorry for my ignorance, but what magnificent load is going behind your new ride?

PhantomChaos
01-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Sorry for my ignorance, but what magnificent load is going behind your new ride?

This thang. :drink::drink: That's my boat (as Forest Gump would say).

Sydwayz
01-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Where is the pic of the stretched 382 Nort?

PhantomChaos
02-23-2012, 05:07 PM
More projects..... :evilb::evilb::evilb::evilb:

Sydwayz
02-23-2012, 05:44 PM
Good luck with the projectors. I had some and hated them, very dim. I ended up going to Harley edition lights and HID conversion.

PhantomChaos
02-23-2012, 05:48 PM
The factory stuff isn't that bright either. I'm trying the Diamond White bulbs, and if that isn't the $hit, then I'll add the HID bulbs. :)

PhantomChaos
02-23-2012, 06:38 PM
Jassman.....Fabtech 4" Dirt Logic lift.....BFM rims and BF Goodrich 325/60R20 10-Ply tires. Retractable stepboards too. :evilb::evilb:

BUIZILLA
02-23-2012, 08:06 PM
gotta take the pie plates off the doors...

PhantomChaos
02-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Pie Plate?

PhantomChaos
02-23-2012, 08:07 PM
LOL.....never mind. I think I know now. :D

Jassman
02-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Jassman.....Fabtech 4" Dirt Logic lift.....BFM rims and BF Goodrich 325/60R20 10-Ply tires. Retractable stepboards too. :evilb::evilb:

I have the same tires and size but w/white letters showing...I like the black letters better.. The rims look awesome..how wide are they..mine are still on the factory rims...but your look wider....man that looks really good.

PhantomChaos
02-23-2012, 09:10 PM
I have the same tires and size but w/white letters showing...I like the black letters better.. The rims look awesome..how wide are they..mine are still on the factory rims...but your look wider....man that looks really good.

I have had the letters showing on the last two Excursion, but some OSO folks and my rim guy Jimbo said NO now. :) :evilb:

Jassman
02-24-2012, 06:54 AM
I have had the letters showing on the last two Excursion, but some OSO folks and my rim guy Jimbo said NO now. :) :evilb:

my youngest boy, 18, said white letters are not cool..dad...he was all over your rims and lift...then I had to hear when you lifting your truck dad....this one looks soooooooooo much cooler.. LOL...

PhantomChaos
03-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Changed the mirror lights from yellow (bulbs) to smoked (yellow LED). Have not done the headlights yet. No instructions came with them so I'm still awaiting those. For you FL folks.....that green thing behind the truck is called a pine tree. LOL :D

PhantomChaos
03-09-2012, 09:18 PM
All new hitch and 30,000lb rated ball. :D :D

http://www.eckharts.com

ChargeIt
03-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Nice ball.
Interesting ball mount, dont think I have seen one support welded like that before?
What hitch did you use?

PhantomChaos
03-10-2012, 09:51 AM
It's their hitch.

Sydwayz
03-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Looks great Nort! I like the hitch too.
Are you thinking of whiting out all of the chrome?

Level III Chaos
04-08-2013, 12:03 AM
Good luck with the projectors. I had some and hated them, very dim. I ended up going to Harley edition lights and HID conversion.

Added the HID conversion today. What a PITA to do. Figured it would take two hours and it took me almost six. Instructions were crap....just an FYI, you have to remove the grill on this truck just to replace a bulb in the headlight assembly.

Bright lights now, but I'd like to adjust them a little higher.......I'll look but I bet I have to remove the grill again to adjust them.

Level III Chaos
04-08-2013, 12:04 AM
Looks great Nort! I like the hitch too.
Are you thinking of whiting out all of the chrome?

No I like the chrome. Nice change for me.

Fordtough150
04-08-2013, 05:55 AM
Nice truck man. Looks clean and has a nice stance.

phragle
04-08-2013, 06:43 AM

Carefull... you may want to install an aftermarket backup cam on the front bumper. When the microsoft sync crashes, your blinkers flash 3 times then the windsheild turns blue with a fatal exception error message...

http://www.os2museum.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/BILL-GATES-bsod.jpg

jawbreakerkid
04-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Good looking truck Nort! Smart call on the retractable step boards.....especially for a guy of your elevation! :drink::drink::drink: