First Formula - just bought an 85 272LS - need trailer

Notices
Formula

First Formula - just bought an 85 272LS - need trailer

Old 01-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Formula - just bought an 85 272LS - need trailer

I live in Lake Worth, FL. Just bought one today. Needs cosmetic work, but everything seems pretty sound overall.. Will be doing the work myself.

It did not come with a trailer. Can any one tell me the specs of the trailer I should be looking for. Any particular trailer manufacturer that makes a model just right for the boat?

Also, if there is anyone local who has a similar boat I have a list of questions started and I would love to pick your brain once I get some time to go through everything.

Thanks!

Bryan
561 -- 704 -- 4782

[email protected]
Old 01-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a '86 272 and am restoring a 255...ask anything any time. I am in RPB. I am familiar with the 272...great boats.

I just bought a new trailer for mine from All American in Pompano.

[IMG][/IMG]

You need something that can handle around 7000#~7500# net...that's what you will weigh with a full tank of gas and water and all your gear on board. Look on Craigs for a twin axle with brakes...preferably aluminum. You can occasionally find them in good shape for around $2500~$3000. Be careful and don't buy a POS trailer...you'll regret it.

Oh...almost forgot...welcome to the OSO forum. You have found your new online hangout.

John

Last edited by sprink58; 01-22-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default maintainence

Im putting 6 tires and brakes on mine next week
Old 01-22-2012, 07:29 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Trailer for sale

Check with this seller for weight capacity, this might just work. $3800 is a good price. Then check with Sprink58 on how to "bunk" it for your needs.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...m-trailer.html
Old 01-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 97FASTech
Check with this seller for weight capacity, this might just work. $3800 is a good price. Then check with Sprink58 on how to "bunk" it for your needs.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...m-trailer.html
That's a great deal...but he can buy a new one here for about $4k...so the distance is a killer.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:37 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
That's a great deal...but he can buy a new one here for about $4k...so the distance is a killer.
Based on your new one, yes. however if the OP went to Mardi Gras, two birds with one stone. lol

http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/mardi_gras_2012.html
Old 01-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 97FASTech
Based on your new one, yes. however if the OP went to Mardi Gras, two birds with one stone. lol

http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/mardi_gras_2012.html
True Enough
Old 01-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Welcome

Originally Posted by bjandorf
Just bought one today. Needs cosmetic work, but everything seems pretty sound overall.. Will be doing the work myself.

Bryan
Ha ha ha ha....... awww crap. That is what I sounded like about two months ago, then started digging into it! I picked up a 86- 272 LS about 2 months ago. Sits on a load rite roller trailer that is probably meant for a 30' boat, but it rode fine pulling it 700 miles home. Had 692 hours and getting it into my driveway cost about $6,300 so not bad.

Thought it was mainly cosmetic stuff also, which it is in addition to putting in new motors! That is the reason for my ha ha up above, just my story. You will be seeing more from me in the next few months as I repair my center stringer and first bulk head (transom is perfect thank goodness). I am almost done refinishing my seats and will be posting a thread about that. Redoing my engine hatch pads and making a new swim platform also. Going to do some changes to the cabin after the rest is done also.

Welcome to the site, Sprink is a big help as others here are also. Looks like we will be learning together. Oh, Brad Murphy also bought a 272LS this fall with just over 1k hours on it, so watch for his post also.

Post some pics of your bird and start sharing!

Brian
Old 01-23-2012, 06:17 PM
Registered

ACE boat trailers are there in FL. Terry was good. I put an aluminum ACE under my 242LS for less than 4K and that included delivery to Atl, Ga.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by aquaforce
ACE boat trailers are there in FL. Terry was good. I put an aluminum ACE under my 242LS for less than 4K and that included delivery to Atl, Ga.
The ACE Trailer is a good looking product. I saw one at a ramp over here on the East Coast and was so impressed that I called the number on the ID tag but couldn't get an answer. <$4K for a trailer for a 242 delivered to ATL is very good.

My 10200 lb twin torsion axle All American with Air Tight Hubs (http://www.airtighthubs.com)/ on Dee Max 4 wheel disc brakes with a 12,500 lb coupler/master cylinder and pole lights was $4300 w/tax FOB Pompano Beach. They set my boat on the trailer and balanced me out with 450Lbs of tongue weight.
I tow with a 2007 F-150 4 x 4 with 9200# tow package...I barely know it's behind me.

Since Bryan is on the East Coast this trailer is a perfect match for a 272 LS. If he were in the Tampa area I would steer him to the ACE...very high quality piece of equipment.

Trailer manufacturers in this size trailer for boats 35' and smaller have gotten very good over the past several years.

Bryan...call Karla or Willie at All American and see if they have a used trailer that might work for you. Tell them John with the white 255 Formula sent you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.