Notices

Latham Hose Replacement?

Old 01-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Latham Hose Replacement?

I have some fine cracks in two of my steering hoses. I am going to order four new houses and 90* elbows. What I'd like to know is how to bleed pressure out of the system? Anyone know?
Old 01-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sleek1
I have some fine cracks in two of my steering hoses. I am going to order four new houses and 90* elbows. What I'd like to know is how to bleed pressure out of the system? Anyone know?
In my system I just worked the wheel back and forth for 10-15 minutes with the power steering engine running. Make sure to check the level of the fluid every couple of minutes. The system should work the air out by itself!
Old 01-27-2012, 05:42 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he is wondering if the system is pressurized while static with engines off? It's not so just replace the hoses and follow what 502 said, you should be ok.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fireboatpilot
I think he is wondering if the system is pressurized while static with engines off? It's not so just replace the hoses and follow what 502 said, you should be ok.
Yup your right, read it to fast!

Like fireboatpilot said no static pressure. As long as someone isn't cranking the wheel when your undoing the lines you will be fine!
Old 01-27-2012, 08:06 PM
Registered

That is what I needed to know thanks guys. I have a weeping (very slow) leak at the base of the ram where the hose is connected. I'm leaning toward sending the rams in for a inspection/rebuild. Talked to the guys at Latham and they were very helpful.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Registered

I just want to give Tom at Latham Marine "props" for outstanding customer service. This is the second time I've called him in four years for parts/technical help and each time he was very helpful. He was very informative and even sent me PDF Files of my steering system and P/N's. Thank you Tom.

Chris
Old 02-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Registered

Had dealings with Tom at Latham myself when we had issues and he is the best. Very helpful and friendly.