Notices

steering upgrade?

Old 02-08-2012, 05:41 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default steering upgrade?

this belongs in budget section. the stock merc steering is passenger car GM pump hooked to a steering ram from a 67 Mustang. is there anything better that is not $1500 to 2 grand used? my boat cost less than that. but i am more comfortable when it goes where i want it to...
Old 02-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

no replys at all. i guess no news is bad news...
Old 02-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

don't really understand what you are asking, you looking for the inside replacement or external rams?
Old 02-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

i hate to say it...but the steering systems are over priced jus tlike most other performance boat stuff.

if your lookin to piece together yout own hydraulic steering the only thing that you would have trouble putting together on your own would be the wing plate that bolts to the drive and maybe the clevis end mounts that allow for the tilt/trim of the drive while also having the cylinders in place. everyhting else (the orbital valve $250, steering column $50, cylinders $200, pump from napa, resevoir $30, $100 lines, steering wheel $50, etc...can be bought waaaaaaaay cheaper from places like Burdens Surplus Center or Ebay. have the lines made locally = save $. figure in some extra for hardware and fittings etc....

your gnna hve to bite the bullet and buy a wingplate $400 and cylinder mounts $$$??? unless you design and build you own....it could be done.

you would need to do the math and figure out the displacement needed for the size cylinders you run in order to get the propper steering rate and all that.....

all these prices are average....you could easily buy for less if you shop around. it wont have the bling and im sure there are many on here who will tell you that its dangerous and wont work because it doesnt say "imco" on it but it will.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post 28 from 10 years ago.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...teering-3.html