Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
whats the deal with mechanical trim indicators???? >

whats the deal with mechanical trim indicators????

Notices

whats the deal with mechanical trim indicators????

Old 02-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default whats the deal with mechanical trim indicators????

why are they so expensive??? am i missing something here? the ones ive seen are so simple its rretarded. they look like about a 50 dollar part and the cheapest ones you cab buy are 400 bucks. and thats just the single drive indicator! nevermind the cable and actuator! wth???

i have a machine shop and am going to make my own heads up style indicator. i can make these easily.

would anybody be interested in a heads up style trim indicator made from solid stainless/aluminum for about half the price of the nearest comparable indicator?
Old 02-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

I felt the same way so I've made my own as well as several for others.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Registered

ok.....so its not just me. lol

can you send me some pics of the ones you have made/seen made?? email: [email protected]

wanna see what every body else is makin.

thanks!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id be intersted as i have to replace my trim limit switchs as the wiring is shot id rather change over to these . if its same cost or cheaper
Old 02-09-2012, 05:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too would be interested as well. I had made one for my outboard powered drag boat years ago but dont have the machine shop access I did back then. Let me know when and how much.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 2tonchevy
why are they so expensive??? am i missing something here? the ones ive seen are so simple its rretarded. they look like about a 50 dollar part and the cheapest ones you cab buy are 400 bucks. and thats just the single drive indicator! nevermind the cable and actuator! wth???

i have a machine shop and am going to make my own heads up style indicator. i can make these easily.

would anybody be interested in a heads up style trim indicator made from solid stainless/aluminum for about half the price of the nearest comparable indicator?
I could be interested in a set for a twin engine.... Would love to see some pics once you get em built..
Old 02-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a link to the how to and some pics on an outdated site of mine.
http://www.30velocity.com/projects.htm

Last edited by Underdog88; 02-09-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Registered

How much are they worth used?
Old 02-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup making mine right now! Can't justify the costs to buy new especially when you look what they are made from!

I have about $60 bucks in materials and 8 hours of labor in both design and manufacturing!

Just need to wait until spring to get final dimensions on the cable strokes and then custom cut the grooves in the rods to meet my specific needs!!

Last edited by 502ss; 02-09-2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Typo's
Old 02-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Registered

ok great! i knew that i couldnt be the only person crappin my pants over how unrealistically expensive these things are.

ima make one next week and then i will try to get some pics up of the finished product. the prototype will likely be 100% aluminum construction with stainless hardware. if i have moderate interest i may seek other materials for the indicators in order to offer a lighted model...but lets crawl before we walk. lol

the design i have come up with will be a modular "stackable" design that will allow you to use them in any configuration needed and be easily upgradable should you quantity or configuration needs change in the future. the design will also require very little cutting/drilling on the dash/gauge cluster compared to similar models as well as taking up very little space above and below the mounting surface. custom configured and design baseplates will be optional. price will be 150-200 bucks depending on how well the production process works and the amount of interest i have.

i wil get mine built and follow up with some info and pics and see if anyone is interested.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.