Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Foam backed vinyl or not, what is the deal? >

Foam backed vinyl or not, what is the deal?

Notices

Foam backed vinyl or not, what is the deal?

Old 02-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foam backed vinyl or not, what is the deal?

I am replacing the interior in my scarab, I am pretty sure all the vinyl, seats, bench, sides and sundeck are foam backed. I can understand using this on the side pieces that may not have any foam so you have something between the board and vinyl (a little padding).

My bench which is the only one I realy have apart has 4-5 inch foam then foam backed vinyl also. The sundeck is teh same way as I can see through a tear.

I can buy either to replace, a 3/16th foam backed vinyl or some other thiner backer that is not a foam.

I guess I am looking for the reason for the foam backing?
Old 02-08-2012, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont know why they used that on your seats
i had a old set of bolsters with it as well no point in it if you ask me but the foam backvinyl is sometimes used for headliners and such have to have a smooth surface.

i had seats redone a few months ago just used whatever thickness foam and regular marine vinyl..
Old 02-09-2012, 05:41 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i think it lays better and hides flaws. i am in the middle of TRYING to learn how to sew vinyl. i reacquired this Nova after it's interior spent years uncovered. i took old seat apart, used it for pattern, sewed up new one, and it looks like crap. went back to Katz Foam in philly and asked questions. guy said the foam helps the look a lot. he also said cut it a little smaller. you can get seperate foam and spray glue it into cover after sewing for about 3 bucks a yard.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:44 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jason y
i had seats redone a few months ago just used whatever thickness foam and regular marine vinyl..
you also HAD the seats redone. probably by a guy who knows what he is doing, has the touch, and doesn't hafta ask how and why.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
you also HAD the seats redone. probably by a guy who knows what he is doing, has the touch, and doesn't hafta ask how and why.
yes thats why there is a
HAD in there..lol if i had the equipment i would have attempted myself as well..
Old 02-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Registered

The foam backed vinyl will be more durable over time. I was always ordering it for different model Sea Rays. The older ones had backed vinyl, the newer ones never did...The new stuff never held up.

My .02
Old 02-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The foam backing is pretty low density. Where ever you have pieces joined, you'll have several thicknesses of vinyl. Without the foam, this shows through. If you take apart a seat with foam backing, you'll see the foam compresses easily to hide this.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

As said above the foam backed vinyl will hide flaws better. I uphostered my 242 formula last year and the foam backed vinyl is easy to work with. The side panels were not foam backed just straight vinyl, which the foam backing just peels off.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Registered

Great thanks everyone it looks like I will be going with the foam backed stuff.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Registered

Default Foam

Fyi. I just had my scarab redone. It was original 15 year old vinyl. All foam backed. I had the swim deck done without it and it SUCKED!!
Took it all to a different shop and used all foam backed stuff and it is better than factory!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.