Flushing a Latham Steering System >

Flushing a Latham Steering System

Notices

Flushing a Latham Steering System

Old 03-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flushing a Latham Steering System

I made the mistake of having a local hydraulic shop make the new lines for the steering system after adding the extension box. The fittings leaked and now I have milky hydraulic fluid! I have a new filter coming with the lines from Latham, but I was wondering what's the best why to flush out the old fluid and replace it with new.

I have a handle pump bleeding/vacuum system that I use for oil sample extraction but I am sure this will not be sufficient enough. Latham said I should us compressed air to remove the fluid. Any tricks or suggestions that may help?

Thank you in advance!
Old 03-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Registered

No one has needed to flush a hydraulic steering system?
Old 03-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it milky because of water or because it is aerated?
Old 03-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Registered

I did some more sampling of the fluid and it looks like it was only milky in the line. All the quick disconnects, reservoir and actuator are clear and red. So I am thinking it was just in the line that I pulled this fall. I don't think it is aeration issue since when I pulled the line it hadn't run in a couple of weeks.

Knowing all this I think I'll be safe just running some fresh fluid from the res to the furthest point and I put some clean hose just to make sure everything is still red and clear. I also learned today that the Latham steering is self priming/bleeding.

Jason, do you have any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 03-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never been into a Latham system, but hydraulics are hydraulics. I would think you could fill the reservoir, leave a line cracked and cycle the system to void the air.
I really don't know. I have heard that the Latham systems don't operate like a traditional hydraulic system would.
How that is possible is beyond me. Like I opened with.....
Old 03-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I bought a case of fluid from sams club, ran the the steering lock to lock while having a friend outside to crack the pressure line, and bleed it off. I was being really picky, but i ran 2/3 of the case through it before changing to good fluid.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Registered

Waveform, did you have water in the system? If so how far up did it go?
Old 03-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok
I've had issues with hydraulic steering.
I'm also experienced with aircraft hydraulics.
So when I have problems with my boat, I utilize the same flush procedure as aviation.
Two ways to flush.

Take lines and blow out everything that you can with an air hose.
Top off the system with fluid and run I thru a good element filter similar to an engine oil filter.
That should clean most moisture and debris out.
Or
Take the external steering lines off the actuator at drive.
Have a LOT of fluid available. As in Gallons!!!!
Remove one end of the steering lines and place in a "dump" bucket.
Take the other line and insert into a container of fresh fluid.
Start the motor and get the fluid running.
Turn steering wheel whatever direction that causes the fluid in the fresh bucket draw into system and reject into the "dump" bucket till fluid runs clear.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Registered

Once you purge the bulk of the contaminated fluid. You can install an inline filter similar to Amzoil engine oil filters in the system either at the pump or externally at actuators.
Continue to operate the engine that provides the power steering fluid pressure.

For the systems that have 2 steering actuators, you can install a hose that will connect the extend/retract hoses of the opposite actuator you disconnected to install the filter.
Turn steering wheel in the direction that provides the flow direction that allows the best filtration. Outside surface to inside on the filter.
Do NOT turn the steering wheel opposite direction of desired flow because it will back flush the filter and take all the removed contaminants and dump the "crap" back into your clean side of the filter.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Registered

Water in the system once introduced into the system, you should consider it as complete loss. If you partially flush you risk corrosion issues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.