DIY hydraulic steering setup >

DIY hydraulic steering setup

Notices

DIY hydraulic steering setup

Old 03-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY hydraulic steering setup

Anyone ever built their own setup? These hydraulic steering setups are crazy expensive. Just looking for a parts list of what all is needed. I would think you could build a dual steering setup yourself for around 1k.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

pm sent
Old 03-04-2012, 07:12 AM
jfm
Registered

Cheap is not the first thing I would think when thinking steering. Spend the money on a proven system and do it right. JMO
Old 03-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 89notch
Anyone ever built their own setup? These hydraulic steering setups are crazy expensive. Just looking for a parts list of what all is needed. I would think you could build a dual steering setup yourself for around 1k.
Two words - SWAP SHOP

Many people on here selling perfectly good parts for decent money in the swap shop. Best way to approach it is to not look for a complete kit unless the price is right. Have seen many times where people are selling just the rams, the tie bar, the drive plates that the rams attach to, etc.

Buying boat parts brand new is redicoulous! Costs are always jacked way up, used is the way to go!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...teering-3.html
post #28
Old 03-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I've got a helm for $450, and air time has a set of rams and transom hardware by zeiger
Old 03-06-2012, 02:56 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Do your research and find some good used parts in the swap shop or ebay. You can save more by buying loose parts, wing plates, helms, cylinders, pumps, fittings etc. Or buy a complete set up from someone parting a boat out or upgrading
Old 03-07-2012, 03:16 AM
Registered

You will be time and money ahead by buying a complete kit than by piecy-parting things together from different manufacturers and trying to make them work. At least as far as the outside hardware goes. Different companies use different length rams, different size mounts, bolt sizes, etc.

CP offers a good Mayfair outside kit at a reasonable price.

The inside stuff, the most expensive thing to find is the helm adapter. The char-lynn valve and hoses are all standard stuff.

Not to mention, all too often lately when you think you are buying something decent in the swap shop, it turns out to be somebody else's junk they are trying to unload.

Save yourself the aggravation.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:08 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Well to each his own I suppose. I guess it comes down to how deep ones pockets are? Steering kits are made for drive types, not boat types which makes them very similar to each other. Most rams I've seen are a 9" stroke. Most wing plates are very similar as well as the thru hull fittings. What it comes down to is the placement of the rams on the transom which iesimple some simple math with either a new or used set up or length of ram. The length of the rams stroke will change the position of the mounting but the math is the same. You might find a difference in the size of the bolt and bushing for the ram mounting to the plate and bracket which isn't a big deal to figure out Potatoe/Patatoe
Old 03-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, unless you get very lucky you won't save squat by the time it's all said and done...CP has good prices....buy the time you piece it together might cost you more...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.