Twin engine wiring Cannon plug or Terminal block >

Twin engine wiring Cannon plug or Terminal block

Notices

Twin engine wiring Cannon plug or Terminal block

Old 03-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin engine wiring Cannon plug or Terminal block

Guys and Gals I have a electrical rigging 12V question.
Wiring up a pair of Twin Chevy HP Engines from scratch.

Should We Go with Mercury Cannon Plugs or Electrical Blocks?
I Like the Cannon Plugs they seem more water tight , But will still be missing extra wires. Other option is step up to the Deutsch connectors?

Electrical blocks seem out dated and exposed

What is the Current Style 2012 12V Engine Riggers prefer and why?
Thanks to all for your Help
Old 03-16-2012, 07:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CDN 1
Guys and Gals I have a electrical rigging 12V question.
Wiring up a pair of Twin Chevy HP Engines from scratch.

Should We Go with Mercury Cannon Plugs or Electrical Blocks?
I Like the Cannon Plugs they seem more water tight , But will still be missing extra wires. Other option is step up to the Deutsch connectors?

Electrical blocks seem out dated and exposed

What is the Current Style 2012 12V Engine Riggers prefer and why?
Thanks to all for your Help

there are a variety of options depending on your abilities

terminal blocks and strips shouldn't be one of them regardless. there are all manner of weathertite multi wire connectors. some are mil spec and very expensive , some are just what they call "weatherpak" which are less so. all require you to have proper pin insertion and removal tools as well as the specific crimping tools for the specific pin types. it is a long and tedious process but if done correctly it is something you only do once. and its what i reccomend. beyond that every end or splice you put on should be properly ( and i emphasize properly) crimped then soldered and heat shrunk. it really is the one area in this environment where , if you cut corners, you will have space alien electrical issues for the rest of your life. i did an installation of a removable gps console and forund fake mil spec connectors online... essentially chinese copies of the screw together military ones. a real one is about 250 $ these were 30 $ and had everything except the certification and worked great... if i were you, thats what i would look for . or just use the std merc pig tails and do proper splices...
Old 03-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Registered

I used 2 weather tite connectors for each engine for the low current wiring. I went to a place that sells fork truck supplies and got heavy conductor weather tite connectors for the battery + and -.