Gimbal ring stuck u bolt and pin >

Gimbal ring stuck u bolt and pin

Notices

Gimbal ring stuck u bolt and pin

Old 03-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gimbal ring stuck u bolt and pin

Finally got to fitearing apart the transom in search of a leaking swivel pin. Just about everything went as planned until it was time to loosen the u bolt. The nuts came loose but the unbolt is stuck tight as is the pin. I ended up cutting the pin to get the ring out, but I still need a plan to remove the rest of the pin from the ring. Any thoughts?
Old 03-19-2012, 07:23 AM
Registered

Default pin out

Ended up soaking the pin and with a little persuasion the pin ended up coming out, then I cut the ubolt and used the nut and some spacers to pull the cut piece of the ubolt out, it fought it the whole way
Old 03-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

unfortunately aluminum & stainless steel like to corrode together, a mechacic i used to work with used coca cola to unstick stuff like that. the acid in the cola softens the rust & corrosion. it works with stuck rings also but add some lube like marvel mystry oil in a case like that & let it set for a day or two. Randy
Old 03-20-2012, 09:36 AM
Registered

Default Seal Part #

Thanks, a little PB, a little heat and a little hammer and everything came free.

I'm in the process of ordering all the parts up, any reccomendations on the best place to buy everything?
Old 03-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Kjham - I am doing the same project as you are. I have been working with Ron Bender at JR marine. He will have everything you need. I recommend giving him a call.

I think he is going to be out of town next week so you might want to try and call him sooner than later. Hope this helps - Brian

Phone: 440-946-8717 | Cell: 216-390-1330
http://www.jrmarine.com/