Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
roller trailer - roller relocation question >

roller trailer - roller relocation question

Notices

roller trailer - roller relocation question

Old 04-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default roller trailer - roller relocation question

Hello, so last fall I purchased a cheap 1986 - 272 LS Formula on a Load Rite trailer. Trailer looks like it was originally set up for a longer boat, I would guess a 30' from how much the front post was moved back. I am looking to reset it up and wanted to get some feedback from those with more experience.

First, how far should the transom be from the first roller? closer the better or should there be a 6" overhang? Right now I am pretty close.

second question is: How far back should I move the front roller carriage? right now it is way too far forward from the looks of it. The rollers are hitting the strakes and there is a substantial support gap between the front and rear roller sets.

If you look at the pictures, the whole boat needs to be lifted and shifted to the port a few inches as it is off center. This will make the port side rollers slightly better at being on or over the strakes, but not much. The first picture is from the front showing the off center, the next three pictures are of the port side and the last picture is the starboard side. To me, it looks like the whole carraige needs to move back about 3 to 4 feet, but is that too much? the span of the first four rollers (out of 8) is 3' for comparison.

After moving the front set back that far, i am looking at adding a keel roller where the cross bracing is for the front tongue piece.

Also, what are the benefits of roller over bunks anyways? Is it just easier to move the boat on the trailer with the winch and to be able to let it roll off the trailer instead of having to have it float all the way off?

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Brian
(link to my build thread in the formula section just incase anyone is interested)

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...86-272-ls.html

Old 04-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You would be much better off just converting it to bunks.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to put any money into this boat or trailer I would convert it to bunks. Much better for the hull. Any where you are going to launch a 27 foot boat bunks will work fine and probably better than rollers. I have conveted a few to bunks but I have access to free steel and a welder, so I have done it myself. If you take it to a welding shop they could shoot you a price on the fab. Then you would need to pick up some wolmanized 2x6 and bunk carpet
Old 04-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Registered

Default labor and supplies

Steel, welder and wood is all available, so conversion to bunks will not cost me anything, just some time. (Other than bunk coverings) Also have people to help me out.

this is definately an option.

which is easier to load?
Old 04-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by befu
Steel, welder and wood is all available, so conversion to bunks will not cost me anything, just some time. (Other than bunk coverings) Also have people to help me out.

this is definately an option.

which is easier to load?
Unless you plan on launching your 272 like this... Bunks all the way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiIHS5EMvRY

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiIHS5EMvRY[/YOUTUBE]
Old 04-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn! This one is pretty impressive!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNUYOyqlrHk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
Old 04-03-2012, 02:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian, my 272 is on its original Load Rite which is the first roller trailer I have ever had (out of 18). Your spacing is definatly off as compared to mine. As far as bunk to roller I would say it all depends on the ramps you use. You dont have to get the trailer as deep on launch or retrive so in that respect it is easier. You have to find just the right depth for both. For me to launch, the fenders just out of the water and I can unhook it and just tap reverse and it floats right off and load, the back rollers just underwater and I can drive it on just like a bunk. Just leave the motors in foreward idle and hook the bow eye. I know a bunk is better support for the boat but will use this until I find a good deal on an aluminum bunk in the future. Was very skeptical about the roller but its not as bad as I thought it would be. Hope this helps....Brad.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Registered

Yeah, those are some pretty extreme launches and retrievals. So, how does he get it back on that trailer at the seawall?

Any other input on this one? Made a post in the formula section about requesting information on bunk setup and contruction from others with 272's or similar sized. If anyone has information that would be helpful on other 26 to 29' boats with twins, I would appreciate it.

Post here, the formula thread or email it to me at befunovo at yahoo

Thanks again.

Brian
Old 04-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I wouldn't want a boat that big on Roller's. Just my opinion.

Bunks are great because you can use the friction they create to get it properly situated, winch it down and just go when reloading.

On rollers I'd always be worried that on a steep ramp that much weight could snap the winch/eye hook and the boat could roll off. Probably unrealistic, but I would always worry about that - HELL, I worry about that on our old junk 1974 Wellcraft V-20 that we launch each spring.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

This thread has a great picture of bunks, post #5.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/t...questions.html

Another good read with Sprink involved:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...d-trailer.html

Last edited by 97FASTech; 04-05-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.