View Full Version : Rage Speedometer

Lotus_Eater
04-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Hi Folks,

I took my 2005 Rage out at the weekend and the speedo quit working. I know there must be a tube or drag or something that sits it the water and reports the speed of the boat, just canít seem to find it.

Anyone had any similar issues? Where should I be looking to figure out whatís wrong?

Thanks for your help,

LE

Chico&Zeus
04-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Mine is on the front side of the outdrive...

http://www.boatingwithtr.com/Members/images/SpeedometerHoseFittingInstallation.gif

ComfortablyNumb
04-09-2012, 02:19 PM
The pick up is a small hole in the leading edge of your drive (assuming a bravo 1x). Take a look, if dirty or plugged, take a pin or small wire and try to clean.

Also, behind your guages the tube is clamped to the back of your speedo. If the tube is getting a bit stiff or brittle or the clamp has slipped, you won't get a reading or maybe an erratic reading and eventually wet feet!

Hope that helps.

Pat

Lotus_Eater
04-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Thanks guys, that does help. I'll take a look at which one I have and see if there is something blocked.

Steve Zuckerman
04-09-2012, 06:43 PM
All the above and you may want to try blowing it out with compressed air from the gauge end of the hose.
They are notorious for clogging up in the spring when most lakes rise from winter pools and have more debris than normal in them.
The real solution is a GPS speedometer......
No more clogging up/cleaning out to worry with, and the truth shall set you free...........
Regards,
Steve

In2Deep
04-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Hey Steve...ny reccos for a reasonably priced GPS Speed that will fit easily?

In2Deep
04-09-2012, 09:04 PM
"any" reccos

Steve Zuckerman
04-09-2012, 10:23 PM
I've always had good luck with Livorsi (formerly Gaffrig) gauges. www.livorsi.com click on their sale items.
I have seen some auto meter stuff, but I am not sure how well they work. www.rexmar.com
You might call the Nordic factory and ask them what they have (they use Livorsi) and can get you. Typically OEMs get really good pricing, and since you are "in the family", they should pass it along......
Regards,
Steve

xcpilot
04-14-2012, 04:30 AM
Hi Folks,

I took my 2005 Rage out at the weekend and the speedo quit working. I know there must be a tube or drag or something that sits it the water and reports the speed of the boat, just canít seem to find it.

Anyone had any similar issues? Where should I be looking to figure out whatís wrong?

Thanks for your help,

LE
I'll bet you a dollar you have a broken hose. Check it from the drive to where it goes into the hull. Find the small speedo hose on the front of the drive and you will find it has deteriorated and cracked likely from UV and old age.