Notices

Old azz cat insurance?

Old 04-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old azz cat insurance?

Ok, I know there is no way I'm going to get full coverage on my "beater" that I'm rebuilding but is there any liability insurance available? If I loose the boat, I can deal with that but the last thing I want is to be forbidden from running in poker/fun runs or worse yet, contacting someone else's boat either at the dock or underway.

Boat is an 81 and will likely be under 90.

Thoughts?
Old 04-11-2012, 07:36 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good question! I'm interested in what the pros answer but I've never heard of being able to just carry liability ins. Too many factors involved, passengers, and most of all the enviormental coverage and it's my understanding YOU can set the value of your boat? If the ins co thinks their at too much risk they'll require a survey to confirm value Mine did.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by prostock85
Ok, I know there is no way I'm going to get full coverage on my "beater" that I'm rebuilding but is there any liability insurance available? If I loose the boat, I can deal with that but the last thing I want is to be forbidden from running in poker/fun runs or worse yet, contacting someone else's boat either at the dock or underway.

Boat is an 81 and will likely be under 90.

Thoughts?
A lot depends on your definition of "Beater." Or a marine surveyors definition. If you were to pay for a marine surveyor to come out and survey your boat, AND it came back as an acceptable survey, there are insurance carriers that would cover your boat for physical damage coverage, as well as liability & accompanying coverages. As for purchasing just Liability coverage, some insurance carriers may still require a survey due to the age, but some wouldn't.

One issue we see often with owners restoring their older boats is that the boat has an exposed motor and/or over transom exhaust. This can get tricky as most insurance carriers don't want to write these boats, even with liability only. Or, the rates may be quite high.

I see you have a Shadow Cat, is it a 26' Ultra Shadow Cat?

Devin Wozencraft
www.wozencraftinsurance.com
Old 04-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info. Boat is fully getting redone, total core job.

Unfortunately it's older then the Ultra Shadows, it's an 81 30ft "ram wing" with OB's so no exposed motor/exhaust

Old 04-11-2012, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by prostock85
Good info. Boat is fully getting redone, total core job.

Unfortunately it's older then the Ultra Shadows, it's an 81 30ft "ram wing" with OB's so no exposed motor/exhaust

HEY, that's NICE! Great boat to restore! About the Ultra, that's what I was thinking...that they didn't make a Cat back in '81! They were probably only making "Flatty's" back then....WITH exposed motors!

Can you email me your photos and I'll talk directly with some of my underwriter friends? I have a few insurance carriers that I'd like to approach.

[email protected]

Thanks,
Devin