Water in 502 Mag mpi oil >

Water in 502 Mag mpi oil

Notices

Water in 502 Mag mpi oil

Old 09-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in 502 Mag mpi oil

I had my intake manifold refinshed because of pitting on the gasket surfaces from the water.

Problem started end of summer in August 2011.......so freezing has not been an issue!

Machinist refinished it and added aluminum to the pits and said he only took off enough to remove the black powder coating.

He took none of the bottom! I asked him about it at the time and he said no need to do that.....

After installing it, I still had water in the engine oil. Fresh clean water collected all over the lifter pan and hundreds of droplets underneath the intake manifold clinging like little stalagmites (like in a cave).

When I went to remove it, I found the base was right down on the block!!
It was a *****! I normally just stick a big screwdriver in there and pop it off..

I took it back he took said ok and took some off the bottom.

My problem is it still leaks, I have even tried Mercruiser gaskets, Felpro gaskets and even " double thick" 1/8" intake gaskets and it makes no difference.

Also when when I tighten it down > 20 lbs first > 35 lbs second "in order" of course. I have to go over all of the bolts it 5 (yes, 5 times) times because they still are loose!!!

Question is...... is this intake now trash??? I need to get a new or used one in good shape (all black original powder powder coating on gasket surfaces..!!!

Please help me if you can!!!

Thanks,,,, Vince

33 Outlaw Sho 'em 2 me
Old 09-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

A new manifold will be a lot cheaper than an overhaul.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Registered

Thank you. I whole hearted ly agree!!!!!
Old 09-22-2012, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

are you sure the water is entering through the intake manifold?
Old 09-22-2012, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next ? Are you using silcone sealer around the water ports along with the gaskets...if not then use either ultra seal black or the rite stuff..both serfaces must be clean of oil.then let it cure for 24 hours..
Old 09-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Registered

I used permatex high torque gray on the water ports and sealing the all the bolts!!
Leaks like a siv.... Ugh
Old 09-25-2012, 09:04 AM
Registered

Here are the reasons I think water is coming in at the intake manifold.

Engine started getting water in the oil end of last summer 2 weeks before Labor Day. That should eliminate freezing. Never overheated.... nothing unusual and ran great.

1. Took intake off in spring 2012, pitting thru powder coating around back water ports mostly port side. Machinist added aluminum and refinished surfaces. He told me it could have caused the leaking (the pitting).

2. So Machinist shaved intake for refinishing some "unknown" amount. Machinist told he he just removed the black powder coating. So, I think he doesn't know how much he took off.

3. This is interesting, so much was taken off that the bottom of the intake manifold landed on the top of the block, where we put the silcon bead. Discovered when I put it on and couldn't pry it off.

4. Had both heads off and checked, they were perfect.

5. This is most interesting too... The water when the intake comes off is pefectly clear big thumb size droplets! Under the intake manifold are hundreds of droplets clinging to the underside of the manifold.

6. When I torgue down the intake manifold I start with 20 lbs all around in order then to 35 lbs all around in order. Then I check them and they are loose!! So I go around 5 or 5 more times until they are all staying at 35lbs. Is that odd???

7. I have even tried a double thick intake gasket (1/8"). No difference!

If there was a crack in the lifter valley, How could it be possible that the valley pan has CLEAR water???
Spurting or leaking out of a crack in the lifter valley would immediately mix with oil and be milky.

I have spent hours inspecting the lifter valley with a dental tool to find any telltale signs of a crack.
It's clean and perfect!!

What do you think???
Old 09-25-2012, 09:23 AM
Registered

Thank you.

Last edited by 02Adams; 09-25-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

have you checked your oil cooler yet? might wanna have that pressure checked if you are a salt water boat. id assume thats what corroded your intake too. and your water droplets are they on the underside of your upper plenum or on the underside of your lower intake?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:08 PM
Registered

Pressure tested oil cooler. It was perfect
This is a freshwater boat. I think leaving the mercathode on all year durind ghe winter cor 2 or 3 winters in a row was a mistake of mine!!!
I think that corroded the intake.
Water droplets are on the bottom of the intake manifold over the lifter pan inside of the
Engine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.