Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
??? IMAGE SHADOW CAT??? I need a history lesson please. >

??? IMAGE SHADOW CAT??? I need a history lesson please.

Notices

??? IMAGE SHADOW CAT??? I need a history lesson please.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ??? IMAGE, SHADOW CAT??? I need a history lesson please.

Newbie here. Although I've had large powerboats for the last 8-9 years this is my first Cat.

After doing a lot of research before buying this boat I found a bit of info. I was hoping someone here could inform me with some more history on this Cat.

What kind is it really?? I have had 10 different answers from ten different people haha

A few of you might have seen it for sale at DFW in TX was also on Ebay for a while.

Its a 1988 Image ( per the title & vin plate ) advertised as a Shadow cat. 31ft long.

Said to belong to a team bandit racing & or Scott Manders *sp*

Seems to have no expenses spared when build back when.

Marine Machine hydraulic steering, k planes, W.P. Engines, Livorsi marine throughout the boat, super nice all aluminum trailer.

Looks like it was once painted yellow with purple accent color.

If you know anything regarding this boat ( good or bad ) please let me know, just curious really any pics, vid's, or just general info would be helpful !! thanks in advance......Mike

Last edited by GTOKILLER; 10-02-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Fast Priorty II Nor-Tech
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a 31 image cat built in algonac michigan. The company is now call Ocean express they have a web site with a lot of old pictures. There were a few bandit named image/express cats back in the day 31 yellow was a outboard version raced by a guy out of ohio. There was also one called Baja Bandit wich was yellow but I believe that was the 33 model. There is no affiliation with shadow cat completly different boat.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

I bought this boat knowing it had a bad Port engine. Turned out to just be a bent valve from the marinas mechanic trying to adjust them. Probably didn't know its a solid lift full roller motor. opps!! oh well there loss. I pull the engine assuming it was a rod knock of to find nothing. I sent the heads out to be rebuild, put it all back together it runs great!! held 7200 RPM's across our small local lake about 4 times.

Has World blocks & heads, 377c.i., JE pistons, balanced & lightened crank, full roller, all crane valve components, Dooley 8 qt. pan W kickout & trap doors, MSD ing. W/ limiters , Stainless marine headers, Edelbrock RPM intake, holly 850 CFM 30cc primary 50cc sec.

Seems to be very put together set of twin SBC's

I will know in in Dec. both are bing pulled back out, freshened up & run on a dyno

Old 10-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

looks more like an Ocean Express 33 to me I think Image had something to do with OE & Awesome at one time or another
Old 10-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

Thank you! I talked to Ross a few years back (07) about a new cat. At the time I was setting a little better financually. Instead I ended up with a fixer-upper haha. Kinda cool I ended up with almost the same boat builder just a couple decades earlier.

This has a "Team Bandit Racing" sticker on the scoops just thought it might help identify who it belonged to!

Originally Posted by bill63
That is a 31 image cat built in algonac michigan. The company is now call Ocean express they have a web site with a lot of old pictures. There were a few bandit named image/express cats back in the day 31 yellow was a outboard version raced by a guy out of ohio. There was also one called Baja Bandit wich was yellow but I believe that was the 33 model. There is no affiliation with shadow cat completly different boat.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Fast Priorty II Nor-Tech
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Ran-Dom 32
looks more like an Ocean Express 33 to me I think Image had something to do with OE & Awesome at one time or another
It went.. active cat/image marine/express marine/ocean express.They built a few under the baja name during the image years. Awesome was never affiliatied with Ross Focht
Old 10-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by bill63
It went.. active cat/image marine/express marine/ocean express.They built a few under the baja name during the image years. Awesome was never affiliatied with Ross Focht

That seems correct, Ross showed me some pics of the Cat's be build for Baja. Also did not speak very highly of Awesome.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Fast Priorty II Nor-Tech
Platinum Member

Does it look like it could of had a bracket for outboard on the back.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Here is a little history lesson on Ross cat's.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/o...assifieds.html

And a Klym cat read here.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/a...ride-hell.html
Old 10-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Registered

An original shadow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.