Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Swap squared windsheild for custom curved. Not so Easy! >

Swap squared windsheild for custom curved. Not so Easy!

Notices

Swap squared windsheild for custom curved. Not so Easy!

Old 10-13-2012, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 77 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Swap squared windsheild for custom curved. Not so Easy!

My son and I have had same old school boat for over 20 years. We do frequent updates, refurbs, etc. so when the windsheild needed repairs, we thought "what the heck" lets take off the original square corner windshield and replace with modern curved corner model. We found a skilled shop to help with fabrication and we knew we had some serious dash/deck work to do, but it really went further than we had anticipated. Project took 5+ months and pretty much wiped out a summer of boating! Plus we are still working out details such as canvas top/enclosures, etc.
The fisnished product is very nice and we be pleased. But warnings to others who wish to try the same. Schedule twice as much time and and 3 times as much $$$ as estimated!
Attached Thumbnails Swap squared windsheild for custom curved. Not so Easy!-img_0541.jpg   Swap squared windsheild for custom curved. Not so Easy!-dsc00503.jpg   Swap squared windsheild for custom curved. Not so Easy!-windshield-august-12-003.jpg  

Swap squared windsheild for custom curved. Not so Easy!-new-windshield-water-photos-019.jpg   Swap squared windsheild for custom curved. Not so Easy!-new-windshield-water-photos-002.jpg   Swap squared windsheild for custom curved. Not so Easy!-canvas-001.jpg  

Old 10-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks great w/0 bow rail & powder coated frame.
What was the big obstacle?
The frame its self looks like it has the same contours as the old one.

MD
Old 10-14-2012, 06:29 AM
Registered

The first problem was with the windsheild fabricator. He has planned to use portions of old windsheild and do custom work to it. He was only field guy. When it got to the fabricatin crew they objected and wanted to start all new. Based in Miami most of the guys were Cuban and we had a bit of launguage barrier. Then they got WAY behind scedule and were less than truthful about progress. So part of problem was me getting past some anger/disappointment cause of that. The "footprint" of old vs new was similar but one of the changes caused new to go into dashboard and electroic box. Since I was about ready for new electronic I said OK and we took a sawzall to the dash. All instruments and guages are now in a box and dash is cut up. Lots of glass & paintwork, wiring, starboard panels, etc. Purchase and try to fit in new 10" screen. Then to fit and install windshield that had some fit flaws--took some time and more modifying. The top frame would not work and had to be sent to metal shop to re-fab. It sits outside of windshield vs inside. Now canvas/enclosure guy is taking his sweet time and he is presenting some new challenges and suggested changes. I think I have a handle on it all and I really like the new product but like so many other projects it took much more time and $$$ than planned
Attached Thumbnails Swap squared windsheild for custom curved. Not so Easy!-windshield-august-12-010.jpg   Swap squared windsheild for custom curved. Not so Easy!-windshield-august-12-013.jpg   Swap squared windsheild for custom curved. Not so Easy!-windshield-august-12-021.jpg  

Swap squared windsheild for custom curved. Not so Easy!-windshield-august-12-039.jpg   Swap squared windsheild for custom curved. Not so Easy!-windshield-august-12-041.jpg   Swap squared windsheild for custom curved. Not so Easy!-img_0597.jpg  

Old 10-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Registered

Such a cool boat-- can u provide all the details, power drives ?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

It may have been tough, but you have a real pretty looking finished product, at least from a few feet away. I think the boat is going to be a very nice rig. Keep us updated
Old 10-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Registered

Default 42' Harley

Our boat is a 1987 Harley 42' x 10' 9" x 19,000lb. We got it in 1989 w/60 hrs, so it kinda like our baby. It now got about 5,000 hrs. We did refurbs/repower in 1994/1995 & 2003/2004 & this last one been 2010/2012 and countin. The power is T/Caterpillar 3126 T/A 420 hp with Arneson ASD-8 Surface Drives. It is not a speester @ 50mph top speed but can cruise all day @ 40mph and still get 1+ mpg. It has lots of comfort stuff like HVAC, refrid, hot water, full bath, etc. We have modified cockpit for sportfish, has rod holderss, outriggers, big coolers, live well, etc. Makes nice rig for trolling offshore marlin & tuna. We have caught/released a few. One of our favorite features is able to trailer. We take to Fla about every other year. Having truck/trailer is big convenience when need to move boat or need service.
THe Cat Diesel/Arneson package is also nice feature because they require so little service. The owners manual suggests that you run the engiens @ 85% throttle so we run hard when sea conditions allow. It is nice to be able to run hard day after day and not have to work on engines.
Glad u like new look of windshield. Next is gonna be new canvas/enclosures and then move boat to Chesapeake Bay for fall season, fishing and buying/eating large crabs. I will be re-installing bow-rail sson. I know look is good but we spend time in big water, safety is 1st! Gonna try & post some photos I got more from refurb days, I will try to dig them out.
Attached Thumbnails Swap squared windsheild for custom curved. Not so Easy!-img_0442.jpg   Swap squared windsheild for custom curved. Not so Easy!-thr-trailer-001.jpg   Swap squared windsheild for custom curved. Not so Easy!-transom-012.jpg  

Swap squared windsheild for custom curved. Not so Easy!-windshield-august-12-016.jpg   Swap squared windsheild for custom curved. Not so Easy!-img_0364.jpg   Swap squared windsheild for custom curved. Not so Easy!-img_0435.jpg  

Old 10-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Registered

Wow you have a beautiful home and set up with your water access and garage big enough to fit that monster.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Registered

Thx for comments on home/garage. Lot of hard work and luck involved there. Luck was buying the property with 300' on water back in the 1980's and getting the permit for ramp/dock/bulkhead back then when u could get them. I held the land vacant until 2004 and then built the garage and home. My son and I did most of the work ourselves (it is a modular home). We have been improving a bit more each year but we are about done with big projects. Garage has offices, bath, pool room, laundry, and son has apartment on 2nd floor. It is part of reason that we can own such a boat and keep it in shape, without the garage I probably couldn't (or wouldn't) do it, it would be too much. I gotta give big credit to a lot of good friends-especially Joey & James-both guys have heavy equipment background but love boats. They both have been there for me 20+ years and performed mechanical miracles that still blow my mind (both are genius in thier own right), plus many other guys/girls who have helped. My pleasure is to take these guys/girls boating and fishing as reward. I win all around!
We maintain several other boats of our own (we duck hunt too) plus some for fiends and neighbors so the shop gets a lot of use. Once again my pleasuree to hang out in shop with good folks doing car/truck/boat projects. Our town is known for insane summer traffic so we get around by boat a lot. Hardware store, many restaurants and bars, friends homes, etc. If I can't go by boat on summer weekend I just hang at home.
Attached Thumbnails Swap squared windsheild for custom curved. Not so Easy!-new-windshield-water-photos-020.jpg   Swap squared windsheild for custom curved. Not so Easy!-seafood-005.jpg  
Old 10-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice set up, the updates look great, that looks to be a good all purpose boat. Do you have any shots of it running? (with the updates?)

Last edited by professor_speed; 10-16-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

pizzacutter,

That is an awesome boat!....,+ family & friends = wonderful life!.............I betcha make a good pie to!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.