Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Latham Steering Function - How can this be right? >

Latham Steering Function - How can this be right?

Notices

Latham Steering Function - How can this be right?

Old 11-06-2012, 07:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Latham Steering Function - How can this be right?

I have Latham steering on a Baja 342 installed at the factory. I had the drives off last week. When I put the drives on I started the engines. With the engine running, as you steer, both drives move out. Both pistons "push" but not "pull". When the system is connected with a tie bar that is fine. But, if I ever break a gimble or the tie bar system fails, I am dead...

I have seen race boats running with the tie bar flapping in the water or even a broken drive. Was this set up wrong from the factory? I assume its a plumbing issue or is it possibly a control valve at the helm? What is wrong here?
Old 11-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Sorry, I was chuckling when read your post, I can imagine the look on ur face, well it doesnt sound like you pulled any of the lines off, to get them crossed, so IMO they need to push against each other to work properly.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

If it was wrong the boat wouldn't steer. With it all disconnected its just the pressure evening out. If there was resistance on the rams the fluid flow would be normal and one would push while the other pulls.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

OK, let me clarify. There isnt "pull". Only the push function works.

If you disconnect the tie bar and turn the wheel one drive will move - the one in the "push" position only. You turn the wheel the other way the other one moves. It seems like they only push. With the tie bar on, that is great. With the tie bar off, it is scary.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's because the 'push' side has more PSI surface area than the pull side. (cyl rod), so the push side will move 1st. If you kept turning the wheel, as soon as the push side was extended the full amount, then the other drive would move. it's kind of a path of least resistance thing, with the area of the cyl rod creating a slight amount of resistance. In a round about way.
I'd think with the race boats running, the high rpm is what allows this equalization happen at a much faster rate. Nature of the beast with the rams tee'd together
Old 11-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
That's because the 'push' side has more PSI surface area than the pull side. (cyl rod), so the push side will move 1st. If you kept turning the wheel, as soon as the push side was extended the full amount, then the other drive would move. it's kind of a path of least resistance thing, with the area of the cyl rod creating a slight amount of resistance. In a round about way.
I'd think with the race boats running, the high rpm is what allows this equalization happen at a much faster rate. Nature of the beast with the rams tee'd together
Interesting! Very logical answer.

So, this is a tree fell in the woods scenario. If I were at 80 mph and a gimble broke would I barrel roll & die or would I be ok due to the high RPM?
Old 11-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
If I were at 80 mph and a gimble broke would I barrel roll & die or would I be ok due to the high RPM?
Just be glad that you had the hydraulic steering on. Friend hit something under the water doing mid 70. We just added hydraulic steering earlier in the week. Ripped the starboard drive right off. Only thing holding the drive on was the steering ram and tie bar.
Attached Thumbnails Latham Steering Function - How can this be right?-trav1.jpg   Latham Steering Function - How can this be right?-trav-2-.jpg  
Old 11-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Rookie
Just be glad that you had the hydraulic steering on. Friend hit something under the water doing mid 70. We just added hydraulic steering earlier in the week. Ripped the starboard drive right off. Only thing holding the drive on was the steering ram and tie bar.
Yeah, but he had cable backing it up. If that happened to me, I would have taken a sharp left.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

You arent understanding. If the tie bar is on, they work fine. Basically one piston works to turn left and the other works to turn right. BUT, if the tie bar isnt on, they dont work at all. They both go out... I always assumed the boat would steer with no tie bar or if one drive broke, the boat would still steer on one drive.

Not the case.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm wondering if the boats running that loose a tie bar, if the drag on the drives is enough to keep them in check. Kinda like towing a car with a towbar where the front wheels turn and straighten out by themselves?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.