Questions about a 2005 575SCI >

Questions about a 2005 575SCI

Notices

Questions about a 2005 575SCI

Old 11-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about a 2005 575SCI

Unfortunately my boat was lost to Sandy. Good news is I insured it for agreed value. I've identified a potential replacement. It has a 2005 Mercury Racing 575 SCI with 67 hours on it. What can you tell me about reliability on this engine and if I do buy it any preventative maintenance you'd suggest. Thanks for helping

Rich
Old 11-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by richsformula
Unfortunately my boat was lost to Sandy. Good news is I insured it for agreed value. I've identified a potential replacement. It has a 2005 Mercury Racing 575 SCI with 67 hours on it. What can you tell me about reliability on this engine and if I do buy it any preventative maintenance you'd suggest. Thanks for helping

Rich
Consensus seems to be the bottom end of the engine is solid , but the supercharger is the weak link ...find a shop that can rebuild it or switch to Whipple . And if you're tearing into the engine , might as well upgrade cam to roller .
Old 11-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

HF is correct. The bottom end is rock solid, forged crank, Hbeam rods, JE pistons. The head gaskets are crappy stock GM ones and should be changed if you ever have the engine out. The supercharger is not the most durable piece out there but can easily be replaced with a 671 or 871 (I did it). All in all, if you leave it stock, with stock boost and run oil with zinc in it you could put maybe another 100hrs on it without touching it. Add boost/spin the blower faster and you may end up with a seized blower.