489 hard to start cold >

489 hard to start cold

Notices

489 hard to start cold

Old 11-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 489 hard to start cold

489 with an 850 demon. Pump throttle once to set elec choke, then 3-4 more pumps, engine always starts, runs for about 5 sec, then dies (sometimes puffs black smoke back out the carb). I try to restart, half throttle, then finally full throttle, coughs through carb again...finally it will start, lots of black smoke though...clears out idles great, runs great, subsequent restarts are easy with a flick of the key. Carb has only 42 hrs on it. Fresh fuel. Any ideas?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Have you tried starting it cold with the choke held open?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Have you tried starting it cold with the choke held open?
No, but I am going to try it next time. Seems like over the years I always removed chokes because they are not worth the hassle...Being in Austin, Texas they are not really needed, especially since boating is usually done when its 80 deg or warmer (usually 95+ here anyway). On my 71 454 vette I have the choke zip tied open. Might need to do the same on the boat.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

i dont think that card has a high idle cam to raise the idle when it starts..try setting the choke then bump up the throttle to 1500 rpm's also your electric choke may be set to tight,,it will help if you turn your ignition on first for 30-45 seconds then this will give the choke time to open up a little so your not starting the engine with the choke fully closed and so you engine wont idle as ruff either..