TR II or III id >

TR II or III id

Notices

TR II or III id

Old 11-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TR II or III id

I'm in need of some help IDing the sterndrive that I have. The steering level and gimbel ring swivel pin are striped out. I need to replace them, but I'm not sure what unit I have. I talked to the local boat guy(retired merc mechanic), and he told me that I have a TRIII. He also gave me some part numbers, so I order the parts. which was not easy at all, $$$.
Anyways, I get the parts and they don't look right. I haven't started to take the other one apart thou. But just kinda eye balling the new part by the sterndrive, and it looks like it's going to be too long. So I started looking online at the other TR units and the TRII seems closer to what I have. The thing that really have made me wonder is the trim sending units. The unit that I have, has the round trim sending units on either side of the leg. The TRII looks to have the same style. When I look at the III diagrams, I don't see the trim sending unit there. I'm not sure if that can be used to tell the two apart thou. Is there anyway to tell for sure what I have. I can't find any numbers.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Pics of the drive help
Old 11-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Registered

Default Drive id

I used to own a 3. It had no trim senders. Also age is a clue. I believe 3's were only made 1969-1973.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume you're talking about a TRS, not TR but the gimbal ring, steering lever and pin are the same on either. You will probably have to disassemble your housing to see if you have the splined or square setup. There were 3configurations they used. As said pics would help, as would boat make, year and engine. Then maybe someone can figure out which drive you have.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's what the swivel shafts used looked like. If you striped the steering lever on the swivel shaft then it most likely is one which used the spline design on the lever end, "A" or "B". I don't think you could strip the square cut design "C". If it's a TRS it will use a 14 1/2"-15" prop. If it's a TR it will have a 19-20" prop. As stated they use the same upper half. From what you say I doubt it is a III. Best setup would be "C".
Attached Thumbnails TR II or III id-ssr.jpg  
Old 11-25-2012, 01:58 AM
Registered

I will get some pics tomorrow. It has a 19'' prop on it.
Borg warner velet drive 1:1 tranmission. 454 Gm thunderbolt ignition. not really sure on the age. I think the motor is early 80's.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

What kind of boat?
Old 11-25-2012, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by danielpellan
It has a 19'' prop on it.
Just a clarification, I was refering to prop diameter, not pitch. If it's 19" diameter it would be a TR.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Registered

The boat is a 1977 28' fiberform. It was made in kelowna. The tag in the boat says that it has twin
255's. So I'm think that someone at some point repowered it. The transome has two spots where it could have had two holes in it, for the twin motors, but it is faint. The fiberglass work was well done if it did have two motors in it at one time.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Registered

I'll double check the pitch when I'm down there today. But I believe that it is 19'' diameter with a 16'' pitch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.