Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Classic Offshore
Where to see vintage speedboats in Miami? >

Where to see vintage speedboats in Miami?

Notices

Where to see vintage speedboats in Miami?

Old 11-29-2012, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to see vintage speedboats in Miami?

Driving down to Miami this weekend and will be there next week.
I'll post this question to the local forums, but was wondering where I might be able to see some cool vintage ('60s to '80s) speedboats?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Drive around, look in boat yards and marinas....never know what you'll come across....
Old 12-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I hear that most of Thunder Boat Row is now condos. You may have to stop in NC for boat builders these days.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

----I havent been on 188th Street in years but, for me, Id just want to walk down that street and soak in the history, as thats ground ZERO!!! I spent so many hours at Donzi in the early 70s that Im kinda torn about weather to go back and see the condo-carnage or not. Both John and Tim Chisholm, as well as Roy Farmer, and all the guys at Donzi were always great to me. Many liquid lunches and great conversations fueled by those martinis the Chisholms downed on occasion were more fun than I can describe. I occasionally went down to 188th St. from John and Sues house off of Las Olas in Ft Liquerdale on whatever Donzi he had taken home the night before and that was especially memorable. I know that Im not even remotely alone with great 188th St. memories. What an awesome period in time that was for me. See if you can soak up some history for yourself.......Bill S
Old 12-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by olredalert
----I havent been on 188th Street in years but, for me, Id just want to walk down that street and soak in the history, as thats ground ZERO!!! I spent so many hours at Donzi in the early 70s that Im kinda torn about weather to go back and see the condo-carnage or not. Both John and Tim Chisholm, as well as Roy Farmer, and all the guys at Donzi were always great to me. Many liquid lunches and great conversations fueled by those martinis the Chisholms downed on occasion were more fun than I can describe. I occasionally went down to 188th St. from John and Sues house off of Las Olas in Ft Liquerdale on whatever Donzi he had taken home the night before and that was especially memorable. I know that Im not even remotely alone with great 188th St. memories. What an awesome period in time that was for me. See if you can soak up some history for yourself.......Bill S
I drove down to south Florida a couple months ago and drove over to 188th st hoping to see some remenants of what once was, I was highly disappointed, had to do a double take and make sure I was in the right place. Its all gone! Nothing condos and offices now. Not a trace of thunderboat row! Then my wife tried to surprise me with a trip to cigarette in opa locka for a tour, well theyre just too busy until February or march to take 15 and show someone around unless they are willing and able to buy a new boat then someone will be with you shortly.... Jo at pantera invited me over but by this point I was headed the opposit direction and figured it will give me something to do next time I'm down there.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just take a drive to:
Magnum Marine.
2900 Northeast 188th Street (thunderboat row)
Miami, FL 33180
(305) 931-4292

Pantera Powerboats
7775 Northwest 66th Street Miami, FL 33166
(786) 331-7100

Motion Powerboats
13040 Northwest 43rd Avenue, Opa-locka, FL
(305) 688-5555
Old 01-07-2013, 09:58 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
I drove down to south Florida a couple months ago and drove over to 188th st hoping to see some remenants of what once was, I was highly disappointed, had to do a double take and make sure I was in the right place. Its all gone! Nothing condos and offices now. Not a trace of thunderboat row! Then my wife tried to surprise me with a trip to cigarette in opa locka for a tour, well theyre just too busy until February or march to take 15 and show someone around unless they are willing and able to buy a new boat then someone will be with you shortly.... Jo at pantera invited me over but by this point I was headed the opposit direction and figured it will give me something to do next time I'm down there.
I was there in 2010 and drove to 188th too. At least Magnum was still there. Love those.

Heading to the boat show next month!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:15 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Go to TnT custom Marine at US-1 and 135th in Nrth Miami, they have tons of boats of all shapes and sizes. If you are lucky you can get the nickle tour from JT or Ralph....