What bearing to run for 489 build >

What bearing to run for 489 build

Notices

What bearing to run for 489 build

Old 01-01-2013, 12:33 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What bearing to run for 489 build

I'm getting ready to get new bearings ordered for my 489 rebuild. It is running an Eagle 4.25" cast steel crank. My engine builder likes to run the Clevite 77 H-series bearings - these have a wider chamfer for larger crank fillet clearance and employ a special graphite coating. Clevite also sells a P-Series bearing that is a little cheaper, and I think that is what was in the stroker kit that I purchased. Looking for some input - does anyone like to run these in their engines?
Old 01-01-2013, 05:24 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used Clevite bearings with success for years. But lately, I have been using ACL bearings. No particuliar reason for the change over. The only thing I would suggest is that you use Calico coated bearings, regardless of what bearing brand you choose.
http://www.calicocoatings.com/

Last edited by Vinny P; 01-01-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Vinny P
I have used Clevite bearings with success for years. But lately, I have been using ACL bearings. No particuliar reason for the change over. The only thing I would suggest is that you use Calico coated bearings, regardless of what bearing brand you choose.
http://www.calicocoatings.com/
Thanks for the reply, Vinny. I think the H-series Clevite bearings have that coating on them - it's really weird looking - almost looks like a brand new bearing was overheated or something with the coating that is on them. I will check out the ACL's as well. One of the reasons my engine builder likes the Clevite H-series is the larger chamfer -do the ACL's have this as well?

King is another bearing maker that I have been hearing a little bit about lately, but don't know much about them. I might play it safe and run what my builder suggests.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Read up on how the king hp series allecular bearings are made. It's a 2 layer bearing vs the typical clevite 3 layer, greater embed ability and can wear a bit withou losing the Babbitt and being down to the copper. Pretty neat stuff!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:57 AM
Registered

Hmmmm - decisions, decisions. Would any of these different bearings affect engine balancing in any way? I won't have to go undersize, since all the crank needed was a quick polish.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
Thanks for the reply, Vinny. I think the H-series Clevite bearings have that coating on them - it's really weird looking - almost looks like a brand new bearing was overheated or something with the coating that is on them. I will check out the ACL's as well. One of the reasons my engine builder likes the Clevite H-series is the larger chamfer -do the ACL's have this as well?

King is another bearing maker that I have been hearing a little bit about lately, but don't know much about them. I might play it safe and run what my builder suggests.
the clevite h series do not have calico coating on them unless you pay for it,the weird look is a result of the plating process.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
the clevite h series do not have calico coating on them unless you pay for it,the weird look is a result of the plating process.
OK, now I'm really confused. I was looking at the following part numbers from Clevite:

MS829H - mains
CB743HN - rods

I was under the impression that both of these have the coating on them. Is there a different part number I need to be looking at? If so, can someone point me in the right direction? I really want to get this build as "right" as possible this time. As a point of reference, this will be a NA application making about 525 - 550 HP, max spin up to about 5500 RPM. Thanks.

Last edited by Budman II; 01-01-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i personally dont use the calico bearings,i have used the king,and clevite bearings for years,i prefer the clevite.the numbers you posted are what i use.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:19 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Budman,
If your decision is to use Calico coated bearings, you can order them direct from Calico. I have their part #s for ACL bearings.
5m829h mains
1b743h rods
Keep in mind that these part #'s are standard size. You have to measure to make sure of what bearings will work for you. On a side note, the coating adds a some 25 mil to the thickness of the bearings.
I am in the process of freshening up my engine. Standard Callies Magnum crank, just had it polished. Ended up using a standard and a +.001 to get the oil clearances right for rods, while a full standard set worked for the mains.
The attached pics are of my Mahle pistons. They were used for a few seasons. The original coating done at Mahle did not fair well. I just sent them out to Calico to coat the skirts and sides. I am hoping their coating will last better than the coating from Mahle.
Attached Thumbnails What bearing to run for 489 build-pin-view.jpg   What bearing to run for 489 build-skirt-view.jpg  

Last edited by Vinny P; 01-01-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Registered

I read on another thread that the Summit house brand HP bearings are actually the same thing as the King HP bearings, at a much lower cost. The listing does indicate that they are constructed the same way. Anyone running these? They might be a consideration for my "fallback engine" that I am going to slap together as a stock build in case I lunch this one mid season or sell the boat.

"SUM-171200H - These SummitŪ connecting rod bearings are just what you need to freshen up your engine. Why? They use silicon aluminum bi-metal construction. Silicon aluminum is the choice for many of today's engine manufacturers because of its high fatigue strength and superior temperature threshold. Bearing wear is dramatically reduced and the fatigue strength is greatly improved."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.