Hydraulic Steering Addition >

Hydraulic Steering Addition

Notices

Hydraulic Steering Addition

Old 01-13-2013, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Hydraulic Steering Addition

Get my bonus next month so i'm gonna be ghetto rich & spend some on the boat. Wanting to add internal hydraulic steering.

Thinking about this kit for $1600.
http://www.cpperformance.com/p-11526...-dual-ram.aspx

Any other recommendations? Dont want to be crawling the classifieds or craigslist trying to piece together all the main components & prefer it to come with all the needed fittings.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

That's the same kit I put on last year. No complaints, easy instal and you can't beat the price
Old 01-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by riverrat
great kit & great price ,you'll be glad you did .
Jeff A.
so how many of these have you instaled,AT THE SHOP.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:46 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought the full kit. Very nice quality items. Helm post is very nice and polished well.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I have done quite a few of them. Nice kit and the best bang for the buck. It is the least expensive out there, yet it comes with more components than some higher priced kits. I also use IMCO quite a bit. Can't go wrong with either. Give me a shout if you need anything, have any questions, etc. I can probably save you a few dollars on the kit.
Eddie
Old 01-13-2013, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Brian when are we going to freshen the BigD ride? Oh and either kit works great and come with all the necessary components Mayfair's retail/wholesale is less than IMCO.

Ben
Old 01-14-2013, 12:36 AM
Registered

I put that kit on a 93 Top Gun a couple years ago. Worked good. The fittings are kind of a pain in the ass.

A couple things from my experience:

1) You have to come up with your own way to connect the return to the power steering cooler. The hose is a -6 hose, but is actually 5/16" ID, at least it was when I got it. So keep that in mind when trying to sort out your return path and what additional adapters/fittings you might need.

2) They don't give you much extra hose, I had about 1 foot leftover, if that. But I did leave the lines at the helm with some slack to be able to pull the helm out if need be. Probably two feet or so, just tucked down into the gunnel.

3) Initially I used the overflow reservoir that came with the kit, but took it off later. In my opinion it's not needed. I would call CP before ordering and have them remove it and the adapter cap from the kit and credit the price back to you. Save you a couple of bucks.

Last edited by c_deezy; 01-14-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:00 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed that kit a year ago....do yourself a favor, get it less hoses and fitting and have a local hose shop make them with press on fittings....you have been warned...
Old 01-14-2013, 08:04 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ezstriper
I installed that kit a year ago....do yourself a favor, get it less hoses and fitting and have a local hose shop make them with press on fittings....you have been warned...
Did you use a mandrel when you put the hoses together?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
They did have an issue with some of the hose. They have since went to a different hose and different fittings. The fittings are MUCH nicer and easier to install. You still should use a mandrel though.
Eddie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.