Help with Gen VI circulating pump with IMCO cover

Notices

Help with Gen VI circulating pump with IMCO cover

Old 01-14-2013, 10:40 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Gen VI circulating pump with IMCO cover

This is my first GEN VI motor (I always had MK IV) and I guess now I'm lost, something that seemed so simple now has turned into a nightmare. I read and read and ask questions but I'm coming up short on an answer. My problem is I read that a double row timing chain will not fit under a stock GEN VI cover, so I bought a IMCO polished alum cover to fit the COM CAM billet chain #7101. The cover fits fine but the new GEN VI circulating pump I bought does not, it's about 1/8 from the block, the back cover bolts on the pump hit the cover and won't allow it to get any closer WTF, do I need to ditch the IMCO cover or space the pump out and throw all my other belts out of wack!!! Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks
Old 01-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You could get rid of the pump all together and run a crossover.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

cloyes makes a double row chain that fits under the stock plastic timing chain cover,google there website.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also,theirs nothing wgong with running a single link chain,,its frickin huge,,bigger then the double roller chain that i have broken in the past..
Old 01-15-2013, 12:25 AM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
also,theirs nothing wgong with running a single link chain,,its frickin huge,,bigger then the double roller chain that i have broken in the past..
Concur.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by picklenjim
you could get rid of the pump all together and run a crossover.
+1
Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
cloyes makes a double row chain that fits under the stock plastic timing chain cover,google there website.
that is true the cloyes double roller chain fits under the stock gen 6 timing cover with no issues .it looks like a plastic cover however it is aluminum
Old 01-15-2013, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

The biggest issue with the single roller is that it stretches it azz off as soon as it's run. One with 5 hours looks just like one with 100 hours. A Rollmaster and SA Gear double roller will fit under the stock cover as well. I grind the ribs out of the inside of the cover just to be safe. They only stick up about .125-.150 or so, so they are easy to grind out.

As mentioned, you could always ditch the pump and use a crossover,
Eddie
Old 01-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just so you guy's don't think I'm smoking to much crack, I took some pic's of my stuff. Here is the IMCO cover sitting on the engine and a pic of the back bolts on the water pump hitting the cover and the gap. Thank you for all your responses and idea's. The crossover thing, I read too much on how hard they are to set up and get right. Hell I'm having trouble with an easy task of putting a water pump on. LOL and getting a new chain, well it sucks I already speant over $100 for this one. I did not realize until today after I seen a pic, that a GEN VI timing cover has a step in it towards the top that gets thinner. So is there anyone that has an original GEN VI cover off that could measure towards the top, the inside depth. I measured from the face of the block to the outer edge of the chain rivets and got .540 So if a GEN VI cover is that deep, I'll go buy a stock cover and I'll use that damn IMCO one for a door stop and be done with this mess!

Thanks again for all you guy's help!
Attached Thumbnails Help with Gen VI circulating pump with IMCO cover-cover-motor.jpg   Help with Gen VI circulating pump with IMCO cover-water-pump-gap.jpg   Help with Gen VI circulating pump with IMCO cover-cover.jpg  

Old 01-16-2013, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CJ I measured mine and it`s 1/4 to 5/16th hope this help. Looking at the pic your`s cover is wider than mine at the top.

V/R Ken

What`s in the EMI box; headers if so what kind? I`m looking for a set for my GenVI 502.

Last edited by blaquebaja; 01-16-2013 at 10:16 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.