sitting blue 525.... >

sitting blue 525....

Notices

sitting blue 525....

Old 01-21-2013, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question sitting blue 525....

i have a question to see what others think.....i have an early serial # merc. blue 525 all stock with just under 100 hours on it. its been sitting for about 2 years and going to put in my 2006 daytona 27... Question is should i replace the valve springs? i talked to merc racing tech support and they are telling me it will be fine. they said if it had 300 hours on it and sat for 3 or 4 years or had rust on them then yes... mine look brand new still no rust or imperfections. i know valve springs can be the "weak" link.. but in this case not sure. let me know what you guys think. thanks!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

under 100 hrs,they should be ok,but they don,t cost that much and are much easier to change if engine is out of the boat.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Thumbs up

keep this in mind,if you replace them now you will get almost 100 xtra hours before you need to address the spring issue,for me,there would be new springs installed before i installed the engine,knowing that the springs are the weak link,id say it,s a no brainer.good luck no matter what you decide to do.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree they SHOULD be ok, but, heres my view.

The engine is out and on the ground. Replacing the springs would be very easy at this point. Cost isn't a big deal as long as you don't buy them thru merc.

New springs in there, with only 100 hours on the engines, once installed in the boat, I think you'd be golden for a while. And not have valve springs tapping you on the shoulder whispering in your ear every time you run across the lake at wot.

Ive done lots of things over the years where I felt things were 'ok', and decided to reuse or run with. Im probably overly paranoid, but, not once did I ever replace something that may have been questionable with new, and regret it.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Was the motor spun over occationally while sitting?

If not.... 100% change them

If it was spun over every couple months,,, I MIGHT risk it if they look good,,,, and if its an easy engine to work on while in the boat,,,,if not,,,,still chage them while its on the floor

I would also pre lube the motor before I started it
Old 01-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Registered

the engine was not spun over....just cylinders oiled... the valve springs through teague are about $440.00... that isnt much for insurance, but why spend it if you dont have to. my buddy also says to replace. its just one of those things that is a 50/50 chance. they will most likely be ok but if not its going to do alot more damage. ive built 540ci. engines in past that have sat 6-7 months and never had any issues, but this is almost 2 years this march.....i could probably find out but does anyone know what the spring tension should be. i could pull them and have them checked.... its just hard to spend that kind of money when they look so nice and new already in there.... lol... thanks for all your replies....
Old 01-23-2013, 09:45 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I belive the 525's had better springs than the 500efi,I would run it,It not a big deal replacing them later on,yea its easyier now.

also you should beable to find springs under 175.00!!!!

Rob

ohyea.Ive got a buddy with a 2001 fasttech with 500efi's with around 600 hours on the hole motor,and he murderes it, Yea it make puke ,just saying some people are lucky,lol

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 01-23-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:22 PM
Airking
VIP Member

Originally Posted by daytona27
i have a question to see what others think.....i have an early serial # merc. blue 525 all stock with just under 100 hours on it. its been sitting for about 2 years and going to put in my 2006 daytona 27... Question is should i replace the valve springs? i talked to merc racing tech support and they are telling me it will be fine. they said if it had 300 hours on it and sat for 3 or 4 years or had rust on them then yes... mine look brand new still no rust or imperfections. i know valve springs can be the "weak" link.. but in this case not sure. let me know what you guys think. thanks!
I would think that the manufacturer that designed, engineered, built and have to warranty the motors would carry the most weight in a decision. I realize they are out of warranty but should be fine. If you have plenty of money to spend then go ahead and change them. I'm not an expert, just an opinion.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Registered

yea Mercury Racing tech support kinda paused when i asked if i should replace them.... like i was crazy or something but i thought it was a good question.... they said they will be fine.. im just glad you can now call in and actually talk to someone about the blue engines.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:58 AM
VIP Member

Replace them now !!! Nuff said !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.