Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How to clean out powers steering pump? >

How to clean out powers steering pump?

Notices

How to clean out powers steering pump?

Old 01-22-2013, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to clean out powers steering pump?

I have a normal merc power steering pump on a 454 mag motor. The inside of the pump looks dirty. There is no fluid in the pump. (I purchased it used from ebay) What can I use to clean out the pump? What is the procedure to clean it out? Should/can I disassemble the reservoir from the pump?
Old 01-23-2013, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that this is perfect, but I would just put in some clean parts cleaner/mineral spirits, and shake it around and then dump it. Then try and blow it out with an air to get the solvent evaporated. That should get most of the contamination out of it.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

the pump is a gm pump,you can get a seal kit for it from any auto parts store,it is easy to take apart to clean it up.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
the pump is a gm pump,you can get a seal kit for it from any auto parts store,it is easy to take apart to clean it up.
Thanks... do you know what the part number would be for the seal kit? I have the normal GM/mercruiser power steering pump. I believe the part number for the pump is 16792A39. How does it come apart?

Last edited by FBRONCO; 01-24-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

on the back of the pump,where the high pressure hose screws in,you just unscrew the big nut,also,you need to remove the stud.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:21 AM
Registered

Just an update. I found Autozone part# 7918 for the seal kit. I think it cost me $10. They have another, part# 7910, that also comes with a bushing or sleeve. It was not in stock. I also found a pulley puller at Harbor Freight for $12.00. I think it will be fine if you don't do these all the time. The item# from Harbor Freight is #40749. I should be taking apart the pump soon. Probably in between fiberglass work on my back seat and other interior parts.