Notices

Myco withTitan Brakerite

Old 01-22-2013, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Myco withTitan Brakerite

New trailer to me. When the pump on a Titan Brakerite system is activated how loud is it? I can't tell if my brakes are actually working. When I pull the breakaway switch I don't hear any clicks or anything and the pump is very quiet. You have to basically put your ear on the pump to see if its running. Is this normal? With the breakaway pulled the trailer can still be moved? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by splashandburn
New trailer to me. When the pump on a Titan Brakerite system is activated how loud is it? I can't tell if my brakes are actually working. When I pull the breakaway switch I don't hear any clicks or anything and the pump is very quiet. You have to basically put your ear on the pump to see if its running. Is this normal? With the breakaway pulled the trailer can still be moved? Any help would be appreciated.
U should hear that thing Hum'n like a swarm of bees!!! doesn't sound like it's work'n!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Registered

Sounds like break away battery is dead or dying.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:06 PM
Fast Priorty II Nor-Tech
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When you hit the break you should hear that motor run with no problem
Old 01-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Registered

I checked the battery and its reading 12+ volts. It hums but really quiet. Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:17 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Trailer problem

Just steal WRINKLEFACE'S trailer,he solved every trailer problem known.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Registered

Jack up one side, put 12 volts from a battery charger to the brake terminal on the trailer plug, attach ground to frame. Should lock up the wheels. If not, something is wrong. I would then start with checking grounds on plug, titan unit and breakaway battery.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

Do you have a trailer brake controller in your truck?
Is it compatible with EoH brakes?
Also, check the manual on your truck and make sure you have all of your fuses correct and operating for trailer brake applications. Sometimes, they leave a fuse not plugged, and you have to go insert it yourself.
If you look closely at your trailer brake connector, you should be able to test the pinouts with a DVM or test-light.

Originally Posted by sbracing
Jack up one side, put 12 volts from a battery charger to the brake terminal on the trailer plug, attach ground to frame. Should lock up the wheels. If not, something is wrong. I would then start with checking grounds on plug, titan unit and breakaway battery.
I do not believe this will work. There are two power leads from the truck to the trailer. One is constant 12V+ to power the pump (and battery charger depending on model). The second is a variable 1-12V+ which is what engages the trailer brakes (turns on the pump) at a variable rate according to what the trailer brake controller is sensing/sending.

Regardless, it's easy to test.
Turn on ignition. (do not start)
Roll down window.
Hit the panic button on your trailer brake controller.
You should hear that pump humming from your driver's seat.

Also, with a fully charged break-away battery, and the truck/trailer not electrically connected...
Yank the break-away cable.
The pump should immediately kick into "overdrive".
If it doesn't, you have a dead battery or one that is not connected or charging. Start there, and work you way to the truck. If that battery is "bad" as in has a bad cell or an "open", it creates an open in the circuit.
Those batteries go bad every year or two especially on boat trailers which are not often hooked to a charging system due to sitting so much.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 01-22-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Registered

Truck is a 2009 Chevy 2500 with its own controller. From what I see I may need to add something to the truck to make it compatible. All lights and brake lights work. I'm not even hooked up to the truck just using the breakaway battery which registers 12v. As mentioned it hums but just barely audible. Pretty cold up here but I wouldn't think that would matter.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 PM
Registered

Thanks for the correction. Need to power both terminals to check pump. (12v & Brake).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.