Whipple upgrades on 700 merc >

Whipple upgrades on 700 merc

Notices

Whipple upgrades on 700 merc

Old 01-26-2013, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whipple upgrades on 700 merc

I'm contemplating doing the whipple upgrades on my 700s . I would like to hear from members that have done these mods on the Good ,the bad and the ugly .
Old 01-26-2013, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Just wondering, why not consider a twin turbo kit? I'm swapping from blowers to turbos because; it's cheaper in the long run, won't raise under hatch temps, and gets more power to the prop with less wear and tear on the motors.

Just curious.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Precision
Just wondering, why not consider a twin turbo kit? I'm swapping from blowers to turbos because; it's cheaper in the long run, won't raise under hatch temps, and gets more power to the prop with less wear and tear on the motors.

Just curious.
What are you doing for a turbo setup ? in what boat ?
Old 01-26-2013, 06:48 PM
Registered

A Whipple upgrade is a couple grand, I'm sure a twin turbo setup is a lot more than that.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Just curious.
Id like to see how that works.

Let us in on that project.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Just curious.
heres your sign!...
Old 01-27-2013, 10:11 AM
Registered

Just curious.
having a Twin turbo would be like getting the oil changed on the space shuttle in my area . The boat is a wide load and the nearest dealer that has the technology to service mercs ( properly ) is Double R and they are 4 hrs drive . I want to stick with something that is familiar to the avaerage mechanic .
Old 01-27-2013, 01:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 575cat
What are you doing for a turbo setup ? in what boat ?
It's a full kit that takes my 525SC's to twin turbo EFI motors. With the cost of the kit, less what I can get out of my CMI E tops tails, and all of the blower parts each kit should only run me $2,500 out of pocket. That's why I thought this might be a good idea for the OP due to the kind of capital that selling the OEM parts could bring in the aftermarket.

The best part is I am getting away from the tedious maintenance requirements of changing oil on the 177's and the Gen V fuel pump housing. The shop that's supplying the kit and doing the dyno tuning really did thier homework to make this an easy bolt on kit.

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Id like to see how that works.

Let us in on that project.
I'll have the shop get me the dyno sheets for the stock 525's and also with the turbo kits for comparison.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I saw somewhere these EFI turbo kits are about 12-13k each from Carson Brummet in California. Unless im missing something??

36-39k dollars for new blower systems (triple engine)

525SC blowers with carbs, intakes, pulleys 2000 each used=6k
CMI headers used=1500 pair x 3= 4500 bucks

So, if you can pull 10k out of your existing parts (not easy sell btw), your still looking at 25-30g to upgrade to turbo kits? The stock 525SC bottom ends will be borderline strong enough to support 700HP, maybe 750hp.

If it were me, I'd bolt some 8-71's on, run 7lbs of boost, and be done. The whole upgrade might cost you 5-6k after you sell the stock 525sc stuff. Changing the oil in my blowers takes me 30 minutes and 20 bucks once a season.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I saw somewhere these EFI turbo kits are about 12-13k each from Carson Brummet in California. Unless im missing something??

36-39k dollars for new blower systems (triple engine)

525SC blowers with carbs, intakes, pulleys 2000 each used=6k
CMI headers used=1500 pair x 3= 4500 bucks
Sorry I didn't elaborate on the supplier, I didn't buy the Carson kit. This is a new kit that has yet to hit the open market. Total cost of the kit is $ 8,500.00. Like I said the company that has put this kit together really did their homework. It's utilizing GT35 turbos and can support 1,000HP. The higher HP kit (utilizing GT45's) they have which is a few more dollars can support 2,000HP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.