Steering ram mounting location

Notices

Steering ram mounting location

Old 02-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering ram mounting location

I am in the process of installing twin ram steering. My problem is the ram will hit the bottom of the exhaust when drive is completely raised and turned all the way to one side. Not a situation that happens often but could damage the exhaust. This is if the ram mounting point is determined when the ram is at its mid point of extension. My question is can the ram be mounted so it is not at it's mid extension when the drive is centered? My ram has a 9'' stroke. If I extend the ram 3-1/2 inches instead of 4-1/2 it's mid point, everything will clear. The ram will not fully extend when mounted this way because the opposite ram will bottom out.

Thanks for any information posted.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by rslick
I am in the process of installing twin ram steering. My problem is the ram will hit the bottom of the exhaust when drive is completely raised and turned all the way to one side. Not a situation that happens often but could damage the exhaust. This is if the ram mounting point is determined when the ram is at its mid point of extension. My question is can the ram be mounted so it is not at it's mid extension when the drive is centered? My ram has a 9'' stroke. If I extend the ram 3-1/2 inches instead of 4-1/2 it's mid point, everything will clear. The ram will not fully extend when mounted this way because the opposite ram will bottom out.

Thanks for any information posted.
you could alwasys install shorter tips or trim what you have and repolish them..
Old 02-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 892 Likes on 320 Posts

the two rams have to hit their stops at the same time. if one is all the way compressed and the other has 1 inch to go it will go till something breaks. the rams do not usually mount with them at their midpoint when the drive is center because as the drive mount point makes its arc the length changes, i.e. it is a shorter travel to compress than to extend. what kit do you have? they should have supplied you instructions telling you where the rams have to mount.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:29 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by rslick
My problem is the ram will hit the bottom of the exhaust when drive is completely raised and turned all the way to one side.
Don't do that then

You cannot move the steering rams as you were suggesting. It will have a binding effect and you'll bend the rams.

I believe Merc also make a spacer/limiter that can be installed on the trim rams.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. I am piecing a system together so no instructions.

Can't trim the tips because they are Imco Gatling style and can not be shortened.

"Don't do that then" - Yes I can go with that if I have to. I was just searching a better alternative.

Hardin Marine instructions online show to use the mid point of ram when figuring mounting point.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 892 Likes on 320 Posts

I have never used the Hardin steering parts but all the ones I have done before the ram was a little off center. as I said the arc of the drive turning changes the travel a little bit. to make sure you can figure where you think they should be but before you mount them compress one all the way and make sure the other is hitting the end of its travel. as for the trim up, as Griff said, there are spacers that you can put in the rams to limit the up travel. the merc part number is 15768A3