water circulation pump or regular water pump >

water circulation pump or regular water pump

Notices

water circulation pump or regular water pump

Old 03-04-2013, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default water circulation pump or regular water pump

454 big blocks twin engine application i need to buy another cirulation pump... whats your guys thoughts about using reg car waterpump i nkow they dont have stainless in them like the marine but im freshwater only and can get them warranted out no problem whats your guys thought any one run one
Old 03-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jason y
454 big blocks twin engine application i need to buy another cirulation pump... whats your guys thoughts about using reg car waterpump i nkow they dont have stainless in them like the marine but im freshwater only and can get them warranted out no problem whats your guys thought any one run one
I ran an automotive pump on mine for quite a few years in fresh water. After about year 8 or so, I started to hear a "swishing" sound from the front of the engine. I finally traced it to the pump. When I pulled it and opened it up, I found that the vanes had almost completely corroded away! Interesting thing was that the raw water pump made enough pressure that it never ran hot. In fact, if it weren't for the sound of the remnants of the vanes scraping on the pump body, I would have never known.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran an automotive pump on my last boat for the 150 hours I had it, there were no problems. I too was in fresh water with a couple days in brackish and never any issues. It was my first i/o setup so didn't know any better, but for $24 it couldn't hurt.