Whipple standard vs MOAC intercooler >

Whipple standard vs MOAC intercooler

Notices

Whipple standard vs MOAC intercooler

Old 03-14-2013, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whipple standard vs MOAC intercooler

How much of an improvement is a MOAC over the standard intercooler? The reason I ask, is because I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade from a standard Whipple intercooler to a MOAC. This is on a 580 2.3 quad EFI making 6ish psi. Is there enough off a difference at 6psi to justify the expense?

Also, how much taller is the MOAC compared to the standard intercooler? Right now everything fits under my hatch, and I only have about 1~1 1/2" clear. I'd like to a kid a scoop or hatch mods if possible.

Thanks for any help.

Sean
Old 03-14-2013, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

At 6 psi of boost, you will not see any difference. If you did go to the MOAC, you would need to probably change some of your plumbing. The MOAC has (2) #12 inlets and outlets. We use a SS manifold that combines the (2) #12's to (1) #16. So, if you your inlet hose and dumps aren't at least 1", you would need to change them to take full advantage of the larger intercooler. The MOAC is right at 3/8" taller that the standard copper nickel intercooler.

Have you ever monitored your intake air temps? With any decent amount of water flow, I can't imagine that you are over 100 deg. The added restriction of the larger intercooler core would negate any increases you would see from the very minor drop in intake temps. Save that money and spend it elsewhere. Now, if in the future you want to step up to about 10-12 psi, then it would help some. Until then, keep what you have.
Eddie
Old 03-14-2013, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
At 6 psi of boost, you will not see any difference. If you did go to the MOAC, you would need to probably change some of your plumbing. The MOAC has (2) #12 inlets and outlets. We use a SS manifold that combines the (2) #12's to (1) #16. So, if you your inlet hose and dumps aren't at least 1", you would need to change them to take full advantage of the larger intercooler. The MOAC is right at 3/8" taller that the standard copper nickel intercooler.

Have you ever monitored your intake air temps? With any decent amount of water flow, I can't imagine that you are over 100 deg. The added restriction of the larger intercooler core would negate any increases you would see from the very minor drop in intake temps. Save that money and spend it elsewhere. Now, if in the future you want to step up to about 10-12 psi, then it would help some. Until then, keep what you have.
Eddie
Thanks for the good advice Eddie! I just read the thread about the quads you built for Eric and was very impressed. I think mine is probably very similar. I wanted decent power, but wanted to go 250-300 hours between builds.

I actually just posted a thread asking about an intake air temp gauge, as I'm curious what the temps are now. What brand do you use?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm using a Mefi ecm, which monitors IAT already. I can just read it on my laptop while I'm hooked up to the engine either monitoring it or tuning it. I'll monitor it on the dyno during extended WOT runs and in the boat under both cruise and WOT. In the boat, we can juggle the water pressure around to play with the IAT a little. I try to run as low of pressure as I can and still keep the IAT down as much as I can.

I don't really see a need to monitor it all the time by putting a permanent gauge in the boat. You can use any temp gauge with a sender/probe and go check the IAT while you run the boat on the lake. You can also do like we do and install a pressure gauge in the intercooler to see what the water pressure is running. If we can install one permanently in the dash, we will. If not, we just install a temp. one and adjust the pickup accordingly.
Eddie