Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Looking for opinions of towing with an 09 Cadillac Escalade EXT >

Looking for opinions of towing with an 09 Cadillac Escalade EXT

Notices

Looking for opinions of towing with an 09 Cadillac Escalade EXT

Old 03-18-2013, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Looking for opinions of towing with an 09 Cadillac Escalade EXT

I currently have a '00 Escalade. It's rated at 255 hp, 300 something foot pounds. I'm using it to pull my 96 Eliminator Eagle 25' with a 502 mpi with a tri-axle Competitive trailer. My truck pulls the boat ok on typical grades, get in some big hills and you have to put the pedal down. I have also had to rebuild the trans once, due to the cone clutch wearing and studdering. I have been told to not tow the boat in OD, which I previously was. Not it's in 3rd only. Also, more noticeable is the rear end sag with the tongue weight. Being this truck has no auto leveling feature, it is what it is.

The wife and I are looking into upgrading trucks. We drove some HD Diesel Denalis and they have awesome power. But we also noticed, the trucks have little to no traction on snowy roads. Which I get a lot here. Also, the price tag is more than we want to spend this year. Next year would be a different story.

In comes the 09 EXTs. We like the look, and it has good power as well. Not Diesel power, but still. Also, the AWD would be sweet in the winter, and sure footed. I'm sure this truck would pull my current boat/trailer fine. I don't know the weight of my current boat/trailer set-up, but thinking between 5,500-6,000lbs fully loaded. Please correct me if i'm wrong here.

In the future, we would like to upgrade to a 30' Eagle with twins. Here is where i'm not sure the EXT would be good anymore. If I had to guess at the weight of a fully loaded 30 eagle on the trailer, i'd say 8,000lbs? I know the max tow capacity is 7,500lbs, so it would be pushing it. Possibly the auto level feature would not be able to keep up either? Not sure. Looking for some insight.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by cloudmaster_321; 03-18-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

For your current boat, the EXT would be fine. For the bigger boat, it won't be enough. The suspension is setup for comfort, not pulling and most everyone complains about the brakes being inadequate for stopping a heavy trailer. My advice is to wait the year and get the HD Denali. Were the ones you test drove duallys? If that's what you mean by traction being less, its been my experience the outside rears ride up on the fresh unpacked snow causing the inner rears to lose traction from the snow the front tires packed down. Look into a single rear wheel HD Denali since you really won't need a dually for the bigger boat and it'll be better in the snow.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by plowtownmissile
for your current boat, the ext would be fine. For the bigger boat, it won't be enough. The suspension is setup for comfort, not pulling and most everyone complains about the brakes being inadequate for stopping a heavy trailer. My advice is to wait the year and get the hd denali. Were the ones you test drove duallys? If that's what you mean by traction being less, its been my experience the outside rears ride up on the fresh unpacked snow causing the inner rears to lose traction from the snow the front tires packed down. Look into a single rear wheel hd denali since you really won't need a dually for the bigger boat and it'll be better in the snow.
+1
Old 03-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Check out the new Ford 6.7s. I picked up a 2011 Lariat and couldn't be happier. Moved up from a Z71 Tahoe.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

We were just talking about this in the Cig sec as I have an AWD EXT and am looking at a 31 Bullett or a 35 Cafe. Currently tow a 23 CC with a single.

As was said for now it is fine but if you upgrade the boat the truck will have to go 100%. Either look for a tow beater or another truck all around if you want your daily driver to tow the boat you have plans for.

Trust me I am torn as I love my truck and REALLY don't want a big HD truck to drive around everyday around town.

Last edited by Nate5.0; 03-19-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
Trust me I am torn as I love my truck and REALLY don't want a big HD truck to drive around everyday around town.
You get so used to it you miss it.

I am in between duallys right now and absolutely can't stand it.

Sold my 2000 F350 last week and don't get my new one until next wednesday. I truly can't stand driving my other options (grand cherokee, malibu or Tahoe).
Old 03-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
You get so used to it you miss it.

I am in between duallys right now and absolutely can't stand it.

Sold my 2000 F350 last week and don't get my new one until next wednesday. I truly can't stand driving my other options (grand cherokee, malibu or Tahoe).
Are you getting a new 6.7?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Yukon XL 2500 or Suburban 2500 will tow both just fine (10,000 lb). The issue will be your gas mileage will suffer a bit.
I tow my 31 Chris Cat with my older Avalanche 2500 (8.1 engine and 4.10).

The EXT is a very plush ride. So I would say you could try that for several years too.

Wannabe
Attached Thumbnails Looking for opinions of towing with an 09 Cadillac Escalade EXT-cat-avalanche.jpg  
Old 03-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
Are you getting a new 6.7?
I wish - I've got a New to ME 6.4 on the way - 2009 with 28k on it. It will be the first car I have ever owned with a warranty. wild stuff.......
Old 03-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the AWD hurts you with towing and mileage, far better with a 4x4 that you can switch to 2wd on the road, most newer GM 1/2 tons have the auto position that does the same as the AWD, but cost you 2-4 MPG with the extra drag, which hurts towing power as well....might look at a new suburban with a 6.2, 3:73 rear and switchable 4x4...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.